Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 2, 2007, 1:40 AM   #1

Did not specifically go birding today, but my wife and I did a trip to the Yarra Valley for lunch at one of the wineries, a regular occurrence as we are only half an hour from it. It so happened I was driving and had therefore limited myself to one glass of a very nice pinot noir so when this New Holland honey eater flitted past with a couple of friends I was OK to take a couple of shots. All shot wide open at or close to maximum zoom and significant crops as I did not have the Tcon with me.... I got an f5 on the last, just to see if it made much difference in what is supposed to be the lens' sweet spot. I will leave that to you to decide.

Like all honey eater they are constantly on the hop from flower to flower

managed to get one shot where it had finished on one flower and was eying off the next, the beak is perfectly adapted for feeding on flowers..

I kind like this one even though it is partially blocked

Hope you liked.
--
Rafael (eFZed30)
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2007, 8:31 AM   #2

Rafael, these are nice. I like the last shot also. At least this bird does settle for a moment, and if he hops about as much as a chick-a-dee, then you did very well.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2007, 10:05 AM   #3

Very nice catch Rafael, I like #2 and the last one. The colour and sharpnesson the last one seems to be better.

Emmanuel
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2007, 5:04 PM   #4

Thanks Jerry and Emmanuel....glad you liked the honey eater....I certainly enjoyed taking a couple
Old Nov 2, 2007, 5:31 PM   #5

I like them all Raf. Re the f5 shot, i`ve found with my fz50 that its not so important to aim for the sweet spot aperture to get sharp results as I used to do with my old fz20, even wide open the fz50 lens is tack sharp...looking at these shots I`d say the fz30 has the same high performance

Mark H
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2007, 11:49 PM   #6

This is a really neat bird. I like all the shots. It would be good to see him actually flitting but at least you got one with the whole beak showing. My camera is supposed to have a sweet spot but I find the area around it just as good, and wide open I have taken some nice shots also. Although it is a bother with a large subject when some is in focus and some is not.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 12:01 AM   #7

Very nice Rafael. It's fun to just happen on to something like that isn't it.

DonR
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 2:52 AM   #8

Thanks Mark, Steve and Don.

Yes Mark and Steve I agree the leica lenses are pretty good all the way through, sometimes when you shoot into the light you get a little more CA wide open but sharpness is great all tHe way.

Steve, tried to get them flitting but my eye-brain-triggerfinger link needs and upgrade.

Yes Don, it is great when it you just get the luck on your side. certainly put a smile on my face all the way home and I just could not wait to share.

Old Nov 3, 2007, 2:08 PM   #9

Nice shots Rafael, sure has a pretty strip of yellow on it.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 5:12 PM   #10

Thanks Ted, yes it is a pretty bird.