Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 2, 2007, 7:32 PM   #1

Not a real colourful or photogenic bird, but I thought i`d post this Moorhen shot taken today,as it was taken in 5mp EZ mode AND with a 1.54x Raynox tcon.....I was really surprised how much detail the camera captured considering the extra glass and zoom used....equivalent 920mm!!! Uncropped,just sharpened and some slight exposure adjustments.Shot was handheld but camera was resting on the window ledge of the hide where I was at the time - IS off (seems to make more of a difference to IQ with the fz50 by turning it off for tripod/steadied shots than it did with my fz20)

Mark H
Attached Images

Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2007, 11:03 PM   #2

This came out quite well for that amount of zoom. I will have to try turning off I.S. sometime and see what I get.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 12:18 AM   #3

That is great detail for 920mm Mark. Raynox has some really good glass for the price.

DonR
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 3:11 AM   #4

Yes Mark, great detail considering the EZ zoom/crop.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 6:02 AM   #5

Thanks.Thats the main reason I posted this, as its not a particularly inspiring bird :-)
I`m looking forward to trying the settings/tcon with Deer this winter, as the excellent reach should help a lot with our very wary Deer.
I almost had a full frame shot of a Red squirrel yesterday at the same place i shot this....but typically just as i went to press the shutter the squirrel jumped round the back of the tree....it would have been my best squirrel shot to date if the detail in the above shot is anything to go by.....

Don, I originally had the Oly tcon-17 but got fed up of shots being spoiled by flare due to being unable to use a hood with it.Didnt want to butcher the lens to add a filter thread so replaced it with the Raynox, which is equally good quality but has the capacity to use a lens hood - not so many spoiled shots now!

Mark H
Old Nov 3, 2007, 12:01 PM   #6

The image quality doesn't seem to suffer by using the EZ mode. Pretty sharp for no IS.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 12:39 PM   #7

You certainly seem to be getting the most out of your experiments with your new FZ50. (You inspire me to be more adventurous than I have been with mine up to now).
I would, personally, have given this picture much more than the "acceptable" rating your post implies. There are more quite subtle colours in the bird's plumage than, at first, appears. Interesting how well the camera (not to say, the photographer) has captured them!
WindRowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 12:54 PM   #8

Thanks Ted, and Robin.

Robin, I quite like the shot personally (and as far as quality is concerned I was very pleased with it given the circumstances). Over here in the uk though, theyre rarely given a second glance due to their drab appearance and the fact of them being so common,so as far as bird shots go its nothing special really.
As far as experimenting with the new camera goes, it has so many more handy features than my old "20", it would be a shame not to use the camera to its full potential.
One surprising thing i`ve found is that a 5mp EZ image with the fz50, seems to hold a lot more detail than a 5mp full res image from the fz20.Why I`m unsure, as i`m not a particularly technically minded person,but that is how it seems to me.The only downside so far is being limited to shooting at full 10mp res for Raw images,but I can live with that.

Mark H