Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 5, 2007, 7:14 PM   #1

Hello everybody.
Need some advice on a lens. I tried this request in the 'canon forum' but i guess they are not as helpful or friendly as the people in here. So even though it is a canon camera i thought i might humbly pose my question.
SIGMA 28-135MM F/3.8-5.6 ASPHERICAL IF MACRO LENS JAPAN
CANON 28-105MM F/3.5-4.5 II USM LENS TAIWAN/MALAYSIA
CANON 28-90MM F/4-5.6 USM
CANON 28-135MM F/3.5-5.6 IS USM JAPAN.
Is there a significant difference in image quality of lenses made in Japan as the price difference is quite big?
I plan to shoot ....INDOORS ~ parties, events, portraits, maybe sports and concerts if allowed toi do so.
OUTDOORS ~ concerts, sports, landscape scenery, portraits, social functions like picnics etc.
I would also like to blow it up to 8x10 if the picture is good and if $$$$ permits.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance for any responses.
No doubt i still have my pany fz20.
Pete

deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2007, 11:42 AM   #2

Hi Pete,

I've just gotten a Olympus E-1 DSLR to play with but from what I've read the Sigma lens are usually pretty good but will not match thecamera companies lensquality. I think the canon are more consistent in their quality.I've read where several people had to send Sigma and other lenses back in order to get a good sharp lens. No personal experience, just what I've read in the forums. I would wonder if the Sigma has all of the functions as the canon lens on you camera. I guess it depends on your pocket book. I lot of people use the third party lenses and seem to be quite happy.

DonR
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2007, 1:08 PM   #3

While I do not keep up on the Canon lenses as I am in the Nikon camp......I would feel safe in saying all of those lenses will do a good job for most of the things you listed ,but none will do indoor sports, for that you need a lens with at least a F2.8 speed and faster would be preferred.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2007, 5:19 PM   #4

Thank you D-SR and GENECA for your advice....wil definitely take it into consideration.
Forgot to mention that i need a starter lens that will cover a variety of events and then build from there. Will not use film much as i have my trusted ole FZ20.
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2007, 8:05 PM   #5

IMHO a lens that the wide end is 28mm is not really wide enough for a one solution lens.........that is a mark agains canon......but there are 3rd party lenses to cover that........but if you are just starting with a DSLR.....what is wrong with the kit lens the 18 to 55mm lens will do nicely to get you started into the DSLR world......and will take photos at least on par with your trusty FZ20.

But you have me confused when you mentioned film.....I wold not think many people are moving to film anymore. but if that is your intention then 28mm is wide enough

Sorry
I should have read the title ....I am sorry ....you were talking about a film camera.....and 28mm is wide enough on a film camera.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote