Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 27, 2003, 3:54 PM   #1

Default Thanks for the FZ1 equipment advice!

Thanks to everyone who offered advice about how to equip my new FZ1 on a budget for vacation. The collected wisdom in the old message threads was really helpful too. In case it's informative for others looking to equip their FZ1, this is what I ordered:

1) Hoya Super multi-coated UV filter 55mm... $23 @ 2filter.com

For protection as almost everyone suggested... and to allow attaching the TCON-17. The sandpaper trick is clever, but I felt uneasy about trying it. After factoring the time involved to go to Home Depot and $ to buy sanding paper, I decided the cost of a good UV filter wasn't too bad.

2) Moose's Filter 55mm... $35

Circular polarizer and 81a warming combined. Almost everyone here suggested a circular polarizer. Decided to get the Moose's Filter because of some online examples. I may end up regretting not getting an ordinary polarizer, but I'll see what my results look like.

3) TCON-17 1.7x teleconverter lens...$100 @ 17photo.com

Hard decision regarding add-on lens. Finally convinced myself it was worth buying the TCON for that extra bit of zoom on wildlife photos, but sold out everywhere! After my vacation, don't know if I'll find enough use for it to justify keeping. Making panoramas from the stitching software should eliminate my desire for a wide angle lens too.

That takes me to my $150 budget. I cheated a little because I ended up buying an extra battery off of the ebay seller last week for $30 shipped. I still might get a neat mini-tripod... $14 at campmor.com for the Ultrapod 2 that can be strapped to trees/poles. If I also buy a camera bag, I'm tempted by the slightly expensive but cool Crumpler bags... the Budgie Smuggler or Stamp Claimer seems big enough for the FZ1.

Now, I have to take as many photos with my new toy as I can before I leave on vacation.
UnfocusedBing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2003, 11:47 AM   #2

Default Re: Thanks for the FZ1 equipment advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfocusedBing
If I also buy a camera bag, I'm tempted by the slightly expensive but cool Crumpler bags... the Budgie Smuggler or Stamp Claimer seems big enough for the FZ1.
If you're going to consider spending that much on a camera bag, you might want to consider the TAMRAC Velocity Series

http://www.tamrac.com/5747.htm
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote