Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 12, 2007, 8:20 AM   #1

Hi all long time no post . Long story short i sent my camera off to be repaired under warranty thru Circuit City warranty . The only problem i had was the USB quit working . Everything else worked fine , i could use other means to get my pics off the camera . It sat at circuit city for a week so i checked on it and they said i had to send it off for repairs . Actually i thought they had allready done that so i had a bad feeling about the whole ordeal. So i shipped it to Precision Camera and cheked on it 2 weeks later , they told me it wasnt covered . Due to abuse , i told em fine just clean it etc ... but they said warranty was void . So a big waiste buying from Circuit City along with a worthless warranty . Ive tried BBB and contacted CC but they ignored me . I got the camera back and it does not function at all . The lens comes outand rattles then it says to shut down , so i do but the lens does not retract , its stuck out . I have alot of lens and stuff to fit this camera now worthless . Panasonic wide and tele lens along with macro lens and stuff . Is there a newercamera out that will take all the lens ? ALSO for all who buy extended warranties id make sure the service department is local .
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2007, 9:22 AM   #2

I really feel for you but if I could use your experience as an example......so that others may avoid the same thing........Buy a card reader.......for 3 or 4 dollars it is the fastest safest and surest way to transfer photos to the computer........That small USB is just not up to the wear and tear that can be put on it, by using the camera to transfer photos.

Again I do feel for you.......and I only buy the Mfgs extended warranties and if its too expensive, like Panasonics, I avoid it all together.

But it does seem to me if you sent a functioning camera to a service center it should come back no worst, the camera could still be in use had you not sent it in.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 8:48 PM   #3

Is what you are saying is that that issues with the lens rattling, etc, did not exist prior to sending the camera off for repair and "cleaning" ??

Too bad you did not take some sample pictures and video from the camera just before sending it. It is almost as if you should have had someone (a lawyer?) inspect the camera prior to shipping it and have it notarized to be in workable condition.

NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 5:23 AM   #4

Yea the camera was completely functional . Its fixable im sure, i may venture inside the camera to fix it myself . I just hate getting ripped off :-x. Ill never purchase from circuit city again . There PR is disgracefull from my experience . Yes i should've had witnesses validate its functionality :angry:.

My question was what other Pana camera thatare newer will accomidate my expensive lens collection.

Also does anyone have a parts breakdown schematic for this camera ?
Old Nov 13, 2007, 7:08 AM   #5

Here is a guide to how to dissasemble a FZ10 ....should be the same as a FZ20.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=17067395

And here is the service manual.......the download link is near the bottom of the page , it does work I just downloaded it.

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/download.php?fileid=20957

But if they removed the lens I think your done.

All FZ cameras will use the lens you have aquired ....its just you will need a different adapter for some of them........any that are 55mm will screw right onto a FZ50.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 7:57 AM   #6

thanks genece exactly what i was looking for
Old Nov 13, 2007, 11:10 AM   #7

I have read several other anedotal accounts of "warranty" plans being ruled invalid due "abuse" all involving "box" stores such as CC or Best Buy. Many of these have involved laptops and in particular I recall one brand where they had issues with a polymer case cracking at the hinge of the LCD panel as reported by several users - obviously a mfg defect.

I thought I'd read something recently about a class action lawsuit by the attorney general of one of the USA states, maybe Massachusetts, where the state prosecuted the case under consumer protection guidelines.... or something like that.
NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote