Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 14, 2007, 5:37 PM   #1

long climb to the top

the lonely smoker

what traffic?

crossing the generation gap

rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2007, 8:45 PM   #2

Rafael, the 3rd photo to me is a prize. Rather, realistic, or a created photo it is a prize.

By created photo, I mean, did you manipulate any of it in software?

In any case, It is very realistic.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 9:16 PM   #3

bayourebel wrote:
Quote:
Rafael, the 3rd photo to me is a prize. Rather, realistic, or a created photo it is a prize.

By created photo, I mean, did you manipulate any of it in software?

In any case, It is very realistic.
Jerry, it should be realistic, this is a real scene, no fancy trickery beyond a standard photographic technique called flash and blur.

Essentially what I did was use the flash combined with a slow shutter speed, in this case 1/15th of a second. So you get the main exposure through the short exposure of the flash and then you get the blur caused by the movement of any object in the picture, in this case the man in the middle. After I took teh basic shot I did normal adjustments with exposure, clarity and cropping in Lightroom. I also cleared a little bit of movement smudge in front of his head. With a DSLR you can choose to have the flash go off at the beginning or the end of the exposure. the FZ30 just goes off at the beginning. This means we get the movement smudges at the front of moving objects(or people as in this case) rather than at the back. because his head was so white the movement smudge was a touch distracting. So apart from a little tidying up this is a photo rather than a photoshop production.

As another example here is one I took when I was learning the flash and blur tehnique during a ourse I did. Again no photoshop beyond normal crop, sharpen and curves. This is an 8 second exposure with the flash firing, but I got the subject to run off the set after about 5 second. That meant I had three second to get an imprint of the background which makes him look see-through. No photoshop trickery, just "flash and blur". Of course I think I took 6 goes to get it right. LOL

Old Nov 15, 2007, 2:10 AM   #4

I found the 3rd shot very impressive - the almost ghost like appearance of the fella in the foreground.Seems I must`nt be the only one....

http://www.photographyvoice.com/pv/p...D.aspx?c=13862

Well done Raf,another POTD and well deserved too

Love the last shot youve posted too.

Mark H
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 5:15 AM   #5

Thank you Mark. The interesting thing is that my last three POTD shots were all from the same place. The first was looking south, the second north and this one west. I'll have to try for an east view.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 8:11 AM   #6

It looks a very photogenic spot Raf. I`m sure given time you`ll get your "east" POTD too

Mark H
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 12:21 PM   #7

Great work Ralael! It's amazing what can be done by just taking the time and energy to learn our cameras capabilities isan't it. I love that 3'rd shot and yiu named it perfectly.

DonR
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 4:49 PM   #8

Thanks Mark again for the ouragement and yes Don our little point and shoots can do some wonderful stuff. I do lust after a DSLR but will keep the FZ30 till either it or I expire.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 10:25 AM   #9

Those photography lessons came through for you Rafael. Excellent captures and technique.

Emmanuel
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 4:36 PM   #10

Nice shots. Am I the only one that thinks you are all talking about the fourth shot though? My third shot is a lady with cars. And it is a quite neat shot in its own right.
Steve
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote