Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 14, 2007, 9:24 PM   #1

Hello,

I ordered the FZ18 and downloaded the manual. It is not clear to me whether an SDHC card larger than 4gb can be used with this camera. I have been asked if I would like an 8gb card as a gift and don't know if I should suggest a smaller capacity card.

Answers to this question and recommendations and suggestions are welcome and sincerely appreciated.

Striver
Striver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2007, 10:50 PM   #2

I would take 2 ---4 gb cards.......But a 8 gb will work.......class 6 would be preferred
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 11:51 PM   #3

The FZ18 DOES take sdhc so you could use any SDHC card and an 8MG is possible. However Gene's suggestion of two 4GB is an excellent one. Same capacity but for the price of a miniscule inconvenience in terms of changing the card over when it is full, you get the massive convenience that if one should fail you have backup card and can keep shooting.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 12:30 AM   #4

That makes perfect sense and those were quick responses.

Thank you both.
Striver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 4:44 AM   #5

I ve been looking at this camera as well . My FZ20 is broke and this looks like a good replacement for the price . I wonder how it compares to the FZ20 ?
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 4:47 AM   #6

I have heard plenty of positive opinions from users all over the place. Plenty of discussion and images ovrr at dpreview panny forum.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 7:47 AM   #7

pappy wrote:
Quote:
I ve been looking at this camera as well . My FZ20 is broke and this looks like a good replacement for the price . I wonder how it compares to the FZ20 ?
This is only my opinion from looking at photos......The FZ18 takes a better snapshot inmany more conditions ...(low light being one of the conditions)..

But even while I prefer the FZ30 to the FZ20.......if you were good with the FZ20 you could achieve better quality than either the FZ50 or the FZ18.....but to use as a P&S the FZ18 is a fine camera comparable to most any camera, but IMHO it has too much NR. But that is the trendwith all P&S's anymore. They make you use RAW to achieve a really good photo, which you did not need to do with the FZ20.....It seems to be the plan of most camera co. especially Panasonic......what a shame.....the had the best ultrazoom that could be used by most everyone and now I am not sure where they are headed.......the wrong way as far as I can see.

But from what I can see the FZ18 is as good an ultrazoom as is available today.

Perhaps the FZ50 is as good......but it has the same NR problems

Thats my rant for the day.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote