Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 22, 2007, 6:13 PM   #1

Having been stuck indoors all week due to wet weather I`d had enough today and looked for a few things round the house to shoot.....easier said than done, but I quite liked these 2 shots.Both taken at 400iso, and put through Neatimage to reduce noise...C+C welcome.

Mark H
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2007, 7:54 PM   #2

Like these Mark, the tones match the weather an the sort of mood I get into if I cannot go outside for an extended period. I like the selective focus on each.

With #1 I would be tempted to streth the tones out a little (ie make the lights lighet and the darks darker) but that is a very small nit-picking comment on two very nice images.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2007, 7:56 PM   #3

Not knowing how noisy they were I cannot see tell how much of final result is due to Neat Image, but the first one; if there was noise left I am sure I would see the glass as well as the drops on it so the final result is very good. Second one looks fine and detailed also. Were these RAW?
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2007, 11:43 PM   #4

I like em' both Mark. It's amazing what we fine to shoot when we're house bound for a while.

It started snowing here this afternoon and I'll post some shots of Thanksgiving snow in West TX tomorrow.

DonR

http://donr.zenfolio.com/
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2007, 2:22 AM   #5

Thanks Raf,Steve and Don for commenting.
I`ll try your suggestion Raf.The more I look at #1 the more it does seem to lack contrast.
Forgot to add in my original post these were both shot in Raw.Steve, the noise wasnt too bad in the originals - mostly around the left side window frame in shot 1, and a bit in the shadow areas in shot 2. Neatimage did a nice job of cleaning them both without any detail loss at all.
Don, look forward to the snow pics.No snow here yet, but showers forecast for today.Its absolutely freezing here at the moment though.

Mark H
Old Nov 23, 2007, 3:54 AM   #6

Raf, had a mess around with the pic in Photoshop (levels adjust) and came up with this which i think is much better, what do you think? overdone?

Mark H
Old Nov 23, 2007, 4:14 AM   #7

Nailed it Mark. I think you can push things a lot further in b&w than in colour and it adds to the picture. My only fear had been that in pushing out the contrast you would lose the mood, but I don't think so, I really like the new version.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2007, 4:30 AM   #8

Thanks Raf.Youre right, black and white really scores with high contrast.Comparing the 2 versions the first now looks very flat in comparison. I was mindful of overdoing things, but a second opinion always helps.It has also really helped isolate the raindrops too.Thanks for the original suggestion.

Mark H
Old Nov 23, 2007, 1:43 PM   #9

Hey Mark, Would you believe we had 4" of snow last night when I went to bed. I slept late this morning and when I got up about 8:30 it was almost all melted, I couldn't believe it. That's West Texas for you.

DonR

http://donr.zenfolio.com/

d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2007, 2:21 PM   #10

LOL Don, we had NO snow at all, despite the forecasts, just dark grey skies and a bitterly cold wind- so no pics today

Mark H