Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 30, 2007, 5:24 PM   #1

I'm trying out the FZ18 tonight... point and shoot type person... no time to read the manual yet. I know I'll try automatic :-)... but what other setting should I try?

I'd like good half-time shots of theband :G...

of course, I'll try a few game shots too...

Any help you can extend would beGREATLY appreciated.

1000words is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2007, 5:42 PM   #2

I would set the ISO manually to 800 (to start)and see what shutter speeds the camera is selecting. You'll need pretty fast ones to come anywhere near stopping action. You may have to go up to ISO 1600from there. You may even want to forgo the option of burst shooting andtry a few RAW files.

Here are some I did a couple of weeks ago with my FZ50.

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/gallery/3841796#222363980

Don't go looking for miracles in this type light, and with these type cameras.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2007, 12:28 AM   #3

Greg,

Thanks for the reply. I printed your response and promptly left it in the printer as I went to the game. I know it would have helped!

But the good news... I got some great shots (for me considering we were at the top of the stadium... no tripod)just using the auto settings. I played around a little... really not knowing which was best. But with the sports setting it has a sub category of indoor. Since it was night... I thought it might work. And I think it was better than the general auto... or general sport. But after a night of switching it around... I'm not absolutely sure... I'm such an amateur for sure!

I'm just amazed I got anything that I'm happy with!

Thanks for taking the time to help me! I've got too much to learn!

Old Dec 1, 2007, 12:45 AM   #4

That's the great thing about these cameras..play with everything, and just delete what does not work! With digital, you will be able to learn in a much shorter time what took me years to figure out shooting film since you see the results of your settings and subsequent adjustmentsright then and there.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 1:07 AM   #5

Greg,

I just looked up your photos... they are AWESOME!!! Mine didn't really come close to those... I was just so excited they were the best I've ever made under those conditions... maybe okay for computer use or small prints... ???

How did you get your shots? Were you fairly close to the field? tripod? Did you manually set the camera for all those shots? I know you are experienced... and that pays! (I was pretty far away... top of our stadium... and no tripod)

Looks like the Z50 cost $400-$600... FZ18 is $320-$400. Makes me think I should consider moving up! By chance did you look at the FZ18 before you bought? Do you know the differences?

I'm wondering if putting out some more money would help offset some more of my inexperience???I know if I could manually adjust the FZ18 that wouldhelp me too.

Thanks for filling me in!

Old Dec 1, 2007, 11:05 AM   #6

1000words wrote:
Quote:
Greg,
Quote:
How did you get your shots? Were you fairly close to the field? tripod? Did you manually set the camera for all those shots? I know you are experienced... and that pays! (I was pretty far away... top of our stadium... and no tripod)
Quote:
I was fairly close to the field. I used Aperture Priority and kept the f-stop wide open between f2.8-3.7, depending on where I had the lens zoomed. By doing that, I was always going to have the fastest shutter speed.

Looks like the Z50 cost $400-$600... FZ18 is $320-$400. Makes me think I should consider moving up! By chance did you look at the FZ18 before you bought? Do you know the differences?
Quote:
The FZ50 is a little bigger than the FZ18. It has a manual zoom and focus ring, like a Digital SLR, and it has a hot shoe so you can mount a separate, dedicated flash. You can buy it online at a store like B&H in New York for around $470 or so. It came out in July 2006 so is not the latest technology like the FZ18, but to meit's still a better camera due to the more advanced controls and it has a slightly bigger sensor
Quote:
While it has a lot of the functionality of a DSLR, it weighs nothing like a DSLR, especially when you start putting lenses on the DSLR. I have no problems taking it anywhere and all the time.
Quote:
If I were you, I would stick with the FZ18 for now and get to know it a little better. You will improve as you learn more about it.
Quote:
I was just playing around with my camera when I took those football images. I wanted to see what it was capable of, so I shot it in RAW capture, which eliminated the possibility of doing any burst type shooting. The lighting, typical of high school foorball stadiums, was not that great, so I was shooting at ISO 800 and 1600 and still not getting the shutter speed up really fast enough to completely stop action, and images shot at those ISO's with these type cameras are a challenge to deal with in terms of noise, but I was pleasantly suprised at how they turned out.

I'm wondering if putting out some more money would help offset some more of my inexperience???I know if I could manually adjust the FZ18 that wouldhelp me too.
Quote:
Play around with the settings of the FZ18. I wouldn't throw any more money at it until I thought I was getting the best possible images and only moving up would improve things. The FZ18 is a very capable camera. I also own an FZ8 myself and like using it from time to time if I really don't need the advantages of the FZ50.

Old Dec 1, 2007, 10:31 PM   #7

Thanks Greg for your additional wisdom. I do have so much to learn! Fortunately, I'll have another opportunity Friday night!

Thanks for helping me!