Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 30, 2007, 6:13 PM   #1

This how a Great Black-Backed Gull looks in the first winter of its life.

Incoming

Nothing special, needed a quick side view for a bird forum.

Chasing a Herring Gull of his dead salmon.

Now if only an adult would come to Chicago. I'm not holding my breath though; these are ocean birds and even though they call the Great Lakes inland seas they don't have that salty tang.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2007, 6:57 PM   #2

Nice shots Steve, I like the background of the waves in shot 1. We get Great Black Backs inland on freshwaters, especially during the winter so theres a chance you will at some point too.Very majestic birds.

Mark H
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2007, 7:17 PM   #3

nice shot .........looks like the bridie was ready to go surfin' dude
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2007, 7:26 PM   #4

Nice captures, as always Steve. Good work.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2007, 10:02 PM   #5

Looked it up, even a bit bigger than our pacific gull, so a decent size it is. Though I like the angle and the background on 1, I think 2 captures the glint in the eye and there is greater sharpness and detail....nice post.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2007, 12:08 AM   #6

First off; thanks for looking and commenting Pete, Jerry, Mark and Rafael. And Rafael, glad the post inspired you to do research. I sure have been doing a lot of that on gulls these days.

Second; it is the contention of someone who probably knows more then I about these things that the first shot is of a Herring Gull in flight. Which is possible as there are plenty of those around the beach where I was shooting today. If it turns out to be a Herring Gull I will have to hide my head in shame. Like this guy. (Who is a GBBH)

Old Dec 1, 2007, 12:13 AM   #7

Saved the best for last.....I actually laughed and my daughter asked what about, when she looked she laughed too. We both saw the gull as running away from the paparazzi not wanting to be caught on camera. Great catch!
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2007, 12:26 AM   #8

rafinmelb wrote:
Quote:
Saved the best for last.....I actually laughed and my daughter asked what about, when she looked she laughed too. We both saw the gull as running away from the paparazzi not wanting to be caught on camera. Great catch!
You know, you and your daughter may be right. While I was sitting there this guy with an SLR came and stood nearby and started shooting, and this gull and the others went out into the lake. I invited him to sit and focus on the dead fish, and when he did the gull returned. But kept looking at him. I think it was picking up on that shutter sound.

I will have to go through gull photos some day and look for the strange. I have so many of those. Meantime, glad you and the daughter got a laugh out of this one.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 8:48 PM   #9

Very nice set ........ happy _peasent

Thanx for sharing

Liu
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote