Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 3, 2007, 9:30 AM   #11

Hey Mark, I forgot to give you a link to http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconfilter.html

I use the retouch program in Helicon Filter to selectively sharpen, brighten, change contrast, change color and Noise Removal ofparts of a photograph with the Retouch brush. I love this program and it's gotten to where this is just about all I use. You can get a trial version and if you send in suggestions and comments on it at the end of the trial, you get a year free. When you purchase it you get Life Time upgrades for just $79.00 I thing.

DonR http://donr.zenfolio.com/
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 9:43 AM   #12

Thanks for that Don, sounds well worth a look. I`ve tried printing some of the shots I sharpened yesterday, and while they may look a bit overdone on here, theyve printed out beautifully. I`ll keep plodding on with it, but i`ll certainly try that program out, it sounds very useful

Mark H
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 9:54 AM   #13

I have always sharpened my images, going back to when I was using digital SLR's exclusively and shooting RAW 100% of the time.

When I first purchased my FZ50 I was still applying sharpening via the Smart Sharpening filter in Photoshop CS2, but what I started seeing was, my sharpening was not doing the FZ50 files any favors....they have always looked great with just the in-camera Normal sharpeningsetting. It was Levels and/or Contrast adjustments that improved them more, so I no longer ever sharpen myFZ50 JPEGfiles in post processing. I simply make either Levels and/or Contrast adjustments. The pictures to me look great, and skipping the sharpening cancut way down on the post-processing time if you're talking lots of files....sometimes the Smart Sharpen filter can take several seconds per file to do it's thing, depending on which boxes you have checked or not.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 2:20 PM   #14

Thanks for the reply Greg.

I`ve been messing about printing A4 and A5 size prints today, and while an image straight out of the camera prints a nice crisp A4, the smaller A5 images came out better using the process I mentioned above.

I agree, smart sharpening does take a few seconds on a large file, but I tend to process shots as soon as I get home from a days shooting, so usually theres less than 100 shots to work through, often a lot less once i`ve weeded out the duds.That`ll probably change next summer during "macro" season though, in the summer just gone I was coming home with close to 500 shots a day at times.

Mark H
Old Dec 3, 2007, 6:23 PM   #15

Mark H wrote:
Quote:
, but I tend to process shots as soon as I get home from a days shooting, so usually theres less than 100 shots to work through, often a lot less once i`ve weeded out the duds.That`ll probably change next summer during "macro" season though, in the summer just gone I was coming home with close to 500 shots a day at times.

Mark H
Interesting. I don't think I took much more then a hundred shots and usually less when I went macro shooting, but could easily do 3-500 shots when chasing after birds.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 2:18 AM   #16

Similar circumstances Steve - the flash I use allows burst shooting, so thats often how I shoot my macros, giving me more chance of getting some in focus. When shooting other static subjects I tend to just take shots one at a time,especially now that I often shoot Raws. If shooting birds more I`m sure i`d take a far greater number of shots as I`d be burst shooting a lot of the time.

Mark H