Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 2, 2007, 11:52 AM   #1

Hi Guys, i`ve been messing about trying to extract more detail from some of my fz50 shots in CS2. Forgive the pics i`m posting, nothing spectacular but they were ideal to try the technique on due to the level of fine detail.
Be interested to hear what you all think, whether theyre overdone or not? Its always confusing on the eyes when youve been looking at pics for a long time so I value your opinions on this fellas.....

Mark H
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2007, 12:55 PM   #2

Now I understand sharpening is a personal choice but I feel you have overdone the background ......just not realistic......and I do imagine thats what you were after.......but I do not like it.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 1:00 PM   #3

Thanks for the feedback Gene. I always tend to apply even sharpening to the whole image (rightly or wrongly) but I take your point about the BG. Do you think it would benefit using a mask and only applying foreground sharpening?

Mark H
Old Dec 2, 2007, 2:06 PM   #4

Mark H wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback Gene. I always tend to apply even sharpening to the whole image (rightly or wrongly) but I take your point about the BG. Do you think it would benefit using a mask and only applying foreground sharpening?

Mark H
Regarding the quoted question; wouldn't this be what you do with your aperture settings? Maybe I am confused because I have no idea what a mask is though.

Regarding the sharpness question; they seem to have an acceptable amount of sharpness to my eyes. Which might not be saying much though. If I had a closer view of the bark, the moss or the rotten branch on that one shot I might be more inclined to check out the amount of detail.

Steve
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 2:20 PM   #5

Yes Steve youre right....sharpening affects the focussed areas most,so if i was to retake these shots, a lower F number would perhaps help with the oversharpened backgrounds.
Below is a crop from the same image as #2, before downsizing,which initially has been resized for A4 printing - 1754x1240 pixels.
I was quite suprised at the level of detail and clarity at such a size...

Mark H
Old Dec 2, 2007, 3:58 PM   #6

I always reckon once you begin noticing sharpness you take it down one notch. These scenes though they probably help in youir technique development are probably ones where extreme sharpness is not the aim. So fo example, though on first glance 1 looks fine, once you notice how sharp the background bush on the bottom left actually is, you begin to wonder why. partically this may be a DOF issue as I do not mind the tree in the foreground.

Would a mask help? Perhaps, though it would be hard to maks out the background here.

What is your technique by the way?
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 4:17 PM   #7

Thanks Raf for commenting. Basically I was trying a method i was reading about, to resize images and sharpen them for printing, using smart sharpen (150,0.4,0 settings) at full size, then cropping to A4 size/aspect ratio and resharpening ,then backing the sharpening off gradually using the fade button in "edit" (seems to be more control than changing the sharpening settings to me).Doing the sharpening in steps like this seems better than just sharpening in one go.
These small shots are just experiments,downsized from the A4 dimensions to 720 px wide,with the sharpening repeated and faded, to regain detail lost by downsizing. I think perhaps fading slightly more would be better, as aliasing is just starting to appear in places.It sounds complicated but actually only takes a few mins per image.
Yes, I tried masking but due to the complexity of the branches it didnt look right.With a seperated subject and background it would be easier.

Mark H
Old Dec 2, 2007, 5:21 PM   #8

This is probably a better example........

Mark H
Old Dec 2, 2007, 11:56 PM   #9

To my eyes these look a little over sharpened. I've noticed that when I actually get a shot perfectly focused and exposed, it's a "WOW" shot, butwhen I try to duplicate that on another shotwith sharpeningtools,I usually just wind up with the shotbeing over sharpened.

Does that make sense?

DonR http://donr.zenfolio.com/
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 4:02 AM   #10

Yes, makes perfect sense Don, thanks for the feedback.

Mark H