Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 5, 2007, 8:37 PM   #11

Thanks for comments and thoughts Pete and Jerry.
And Pete, I did do a reset. Which changed nothing. I will check out the mapping of the bad sectors you mention also. Even if it does nothing, I am always up for learning something.
Steve

Edited to add: Amazing stuff Pete. As soon as I sent above I did a Google search for "map out bad sectors of ccd". And the first one on the list was this thread with your post!
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2007, 12:15 AM   #12

The sensor is maybe dirty or something, just a suggestion, though I don't know why it wouldn't be colored like the first pictures you posted... but anyway, one of my older cameras had the lines on the photos, similar to those photos, when I opened up the camera body the CCD/Sensor was quite nasty.
So, if your done with the camera (or you know how to open your camera safely and such), before you go out and buy a new one, try opening the camera body, when you've found the CCD, try wiping it off with, I don't know, one of those Micro-Fiber cloth things you see around?, then put the camera back together again, that COULD work, not 100% satisfaction guaranteed. Just posting this because it saved me a pile of money. haha.
So, good luck with that and let me know what happens!

Happy Snapping! :|
Exilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2007, 10:01 PM   #13

Thanks Exilmo. I took it apart and cleaned things as best I could, and there was no change in the quality of the pictures. Meaning they still had no quality to them at all. So I went to a store and handled both an FZ8 and an FZ18, compared the zoom, and then went home and ordered an FZ18.

I put my Kodak 3X zoom in my pocket for my lakefront walk today, and six swans swam by all in a row. I took various pictures, and they are all worthless as the swans are dots. To be fair, they were way out there and maybe even a long zoom camera would not have grabbed a good shot, but it was quite depressing nevertheless.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 9:49 AM   #14

Sorry to hear about your camera, Happy.

But doesn't it give you a great excuse to treat yourself to a new FZ50 for Xmas???!!!

I'd love to see the results from the FZ50 in the hands of a pro like you !!!
WindRowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 10:31 AM   #15

WindRowe wrote:
Quote:
Sorry to hear about your camera, Happy.

But doesn't it give you a great excuse to treat yourself to a new FZ50 for Xmas???!!!

I'd love to see the results from the FZ50 in the hands of a pro like you !!!
Well, that would be nice, but since I ordered an FZ18 you will have to settle for seeing the results from that camera. An FZ0 would have been nice, but I am hoping that the extra zoom of the FZ18 will be what I can use the most. Thanks for nice comment though.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 3:59 PM   #16

Sad to hear it did not revive.

Pretty sure you will like the FZ18. I have seen some pretty good results and I am sure in your hands it will be very good. The extra reach won't hurt eaither.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 6:21 PM   #17

Sorry to hear about your camera Steve. I'm sure the FZ18 will cure your mood.

Emmanuel
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote