Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 2, 2007, 2:51 PM   #1

My camera appears sick. Worked fine yesterday morning, took it out in the afternoon and worked fine and then started taking bad shots. Windy both times. Afternoon had snow but not a whole lot but maybe moisture got somewhere. It worked fine this morning for awhile and then got bad again, so I don't know if it is related to camera being on a period of time or if it is reacting to cold.

Camera has less then a month -parts only - on warranty. CCD warranty only six months so long gone. Although a young camera compared to some there have been over 90,000 shots taken with it.

I can send it in and see what Panasonic says, but any thoughts?

One of first bad shots. Looks like shutter stayed open. Changing settings did not change how shots looked.

When I got home I took this through the windshield. This should be underexposed at 1/1300 second. f/4 and ISO 100 on a very gloomy day.

Dark kitchen. Same settings as above. Flash used.

Same kitchen. Aperture priority 2/5 second. No flash. Very strange result.

So, I either spend money to send it in and more to fix it if CCD, or it heals itself after cooking on heating vent a day or two if there is moisture, or I start shopping for a new camera now.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2007, 3:05 PM   #2

Nightmare Steve. The lines across the first 2 shots, and the way the 4th image has been recorded suggest the sensor to my me.It may be damp inside the body though so worth trying to dry the camera out with heat. Have you tried another memory card in case its the way the images are being written?
Hope the problem gets sorted out, let us know how you get on....

Mark H
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 3:51 PM   #3

Weird results. You are right it looks sensor. If you have some of that silica gel that comes with electronic gear Id try it with that in a bag for a bit, worked for my daughters mp3 player a while ago.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 5:49 PM   #4

Not many cameras get to 100.000 clicks...

I imagine after it dries you will reset to the defaults ......and leave the battery out while it cooking.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 8:08 PM   #5

Thanks for thoughts guys; I will let you know how it turns out. I will let it sit until tomorrow for now.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 6:10 PM   #6

Day later update. Camera still takes crummy pictures. SD card change does not affect this. Nor does reset of all settings except sequence numbers to defaults.
However, I experimented today with turning movies on and off, and the two pictures below are two of the low resolution pictures taken at the beginning of a movie. Strange stuff this.

Old Dec 4, 2007, 1:07 PM   #7

To bad you camera is afoul (sorry for the pun but you do take a lot of bird pictures). If it has to be sent off to be fixed I would sure weigh the cost of repairs and shipping against the cost of one of the new FZs.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 1:42 PM   #8

Thanks Ted. It is still sick and I am more inclined to replace then repair. Trying to decide what to replace it with. At the moment an FZ18 has a very slight edge in my mind, with an FZ8 next.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 8:21 PM   #9

Steve, I am sorry to hear about the camera, albeit it, I know you want be long without one. Till then, we will all miss the outstanding bird photos you share.

The FZ18 does sound like a good choice.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 7:50 PM   #10

hold on steve.....all may not be lost........my fz20 was taking some weird shots......then someone here told me to RESET the camera.......and its worked fine since.........check your manual on how to do it..........however there is also a way to map out bad sectors of the CCD/sensor.........but you have to be very cautious when doing that..........if you cant find it in your manual then GOOGLE it........i repeat do not map out the bad sectors until you have read what the after-effects may be.....i nevcer mapped out any bad sectors i only did a camera reset,,,, both are different solutions....and good luck.........would hate to miss out on the Birdman of Pany....
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote