Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 3, 2007, 5:06 PM   #1
cda

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had experience with using a Lumix DMX-FX33 with a Class 2 (2MB/sec) SDHC memory card. Specifically, will the more data intensive features (continuous shooting, burst mode, 848x480x30fps video) work with that card speed? Or if anyone is just good at this stuff and could hazard a guess...

I did a bit of research online and I have difficulty finding anything conclusive. It seems like 8.1 MP images can be up to 8 MB, and burst mode can shoot 4 highest res images at 2fps. SDHC cards appear to have approximately equal Read/Write speed, and this is summed to make the "spec." I'm thinking 1MB/sec isn't enough to really use this feature? Or is there some kind of buffer/cache used that makes it irrelevant?

I also have no sense for how big a 848x480x30fps MJPEG video would be, and again, how buffering might be used in the video recording process to help a slower SD card compensate.

If anyone could share their experiences with this camera with different memory card speeds, that would be great!

BTW - the issue is that a Class 2 card came with the camera package I bought (the speed was not published accurately - buyer beware I guess), but I don't want to open it if it's not going to be fast enough, so I can return it or sell it on eBay and then get the best card for this camera.

Thanks!
-cda

cda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2007, 3:24 AM   #2

Hello!

Good to hear that somebody has got the same problem like me.

I want to by a FX33 and and I was yesterday calculating the price but I had to stop it by memory card because me either did not know the requerd writing speedof video.

Concerning the 8,1Mpixel picture sizeI do think so that it could be 8Mb. Now I am taking pictures with FX8 (5Mpixel) and the highest picture size is 2,5Mb. But of course it can be that I am wrong.

But for safty I would like to by a Kingston 4Gb with 6Mb/sc writing speed.

I am wraiting for the requerd writing speed.

Thanks!
otter444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 1:12 AM   #3

for your desired info.. 8mp on the panasonic dmc-fz18 largest files are at most 4mb 3.5 is the largest I've seen yet.
the resolution is 3264 x 2448
I figure the camera is able to potentially use almost 16mb/sec after some calculations...
If this is wrong stop me and let me know whats wrong
camera bursts 3.7fps. So make this 4
3-3.5 mb a pic. We will induce 4mb
so you do basic math and figure out 4x4 is 16
16mb a second is the card you want.. am I right?
1mb/sec means 1 pic every 4 seconds on a camera potentially able to use 16... newegg has a 20 dollar 4gb sd card that is class 6 I'd look into first the reviews are bad. But, if it doesn't work its replaced. and it has a warranty.. I don't see how memory cards go bad. they have no moving parts. No moving parts means no friction. Friction causes wear and tear. sooo. theoretically . It should never go bad if handled correctly. expecially since its not based as stressed voltage wise as most stationary electronics.

hercules71185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2007, 5:17 PM   #4
cda

yeah that sounds about right... thus my worries... so what i ended up doing was selling off the Class 2 card for $15 (a bit of a loss but hey, it was my mistake), and getting a 4gb SDHC extreme III from sandisk... supposed to run at 20mb/sec (which is still just 10mb/sec write, see next paragraph - although in my quick tests with my pc and a USB card reader it seems to go a bit faster). beachcamera.com had a $30 rebate off $80 (and free shipping), so that's an end cost of $50 for a known good brand. altho i look at the site now and i don't see that product anymore, so maybe they sold out?

personally i think the SDHC standard is pretty low, i don't get why it only goes up to class 6, and even this "extreme" card seems to be a bit too slow to get max performance out of a new (but not even top of the line) camera. but at the same time there is clearly the technology to go faster than 6mb/sec, so why not standardize based on this? (the card i got says it is "Class 6" btw, just because there is no faster class). and really, Class 2 is just pathetic...

cda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2007, 8:52 PM   #5

Yea I am using a regular sd 1gb card since I have a few of them. (4 total) I used hd tach to test it. its only 4mb/sec. After 5 continuous shots it starts to slow down A LOT. After 10 it goes about 1 pic every 2 seconds.
hercules71185 is offline   Reply With Quote