Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 4, 2007, 3:44 PM   #1

I finally decided on which camera to buy. I went with the FZ-18 and I cannot wait for it to get here.

I need to also order a memory card/cardsand I do not understand much about the sd vs. sdhc and also the class 2, 4, 6. I have always used Kingston cards and they have served my purpose well but the ones I have are small 512mb and slow. I want to order one good 4Gb or maybe 2 good 2Gb cards to go with this camera.

Please tell me exactly which card or cards you would recommend including model number?

Do most of you prefer one large card or two smaller cards?

Also while researching this camera I have read that some people use a filter on this camera. Can someone please explain what this does and if I need to purchase one. To be honest some of the things I read are over my head, I'm just learning.

One more thing, do you know any books that would be good for someone just trying to take a step up from point and shoot?

Thanks everyone so much for all the help.

rachunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2007, 8:53 PM   #2

rachunter wrote:
Quote:
I finally decided on which camera to buy. I went with the FZ-18 and I cannot wait for it to get here.
Quote:
Thats a nice camera.....I think you will be happy
Quote:

I need to also order a memory card/cardsand I do not understand much about the sd vs. sdhc and also the class 2, 4, 6. I have always used Kingston cards and they have served my purpose well but the ones I have are small 512mb and slow. I want to order one good 4Gb or maybe 2 good 2Gb cards to go with this camera.
Quote:
If you choose SDHC cards you will need a new Card reader.......which is a better method of transfer than using the camera
Quote:

Please tell me exactly which card or cards you would recommend including model number?

Do most of you prefer one large card or two smaller cards?
Quote:
I have a couple 8gb cards but for everyday use I believe 2 gb cards are a better choice......My favorite brands are transcend and Ridata.......but most cards are just fine......I do not purchase anything slower than 150X in the small cards or less than class 6 in the SDHC......just remember thats only my choice and not written in stone
Quote:

Also while researching this camera I have read that some people use a filter on this camera. Can someone please explain what this does and if I need to purchase one. To be honest some of the things I read are over my head, I'm just learning.

One more thing, do you know any books that would be good for someone just trying to take a step up from point and shoot?

Thanks everyone so much for all the help.
A UV filter is used by many to protect the lens .....it is not needed as it serves no other purpose. And I know of no book that covers the FZ18.......of course there are many photography books.

You may or may not find a polarizer filter useful for some situations , also perhaps a ND filter, but I would see how I feel about those in a few weeks.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 1:02 AM   #3

I have the FZ18 and Ilike the ACP EP 150x 2 or 4 Gb cards. However, Kingston or Sandisk are also good choices. I'd stick to a max of 4Gb. Actually, my preference is for 2x2 Gb cards instead of 1 4Gb card.However, if you do a lotof movies, the 4 Gb works better since it will take longer to fill up.

I bought a Cokin set of filters on eBay for $15 (UV, ND and polarizer). However, I think the UV is the most important sinceit's main purpose is to protect the lens. The other two are good to have (SPECIALLY THEPOL.).The nice thing about the FZ18 is that you don't need a lens adapter to attach filters since the lens is threaded (46mm mount).

You really don't need any special books to understand how to use the camera. The manual does a decent job explaining its features and functionalist's.

Since I can't seem to find the lens adapter for the FZ18 anywhere, I ordered a couple of step rings and I'm going to try to attach theWA and tele converters I have straight on the lens. I just need to make sure I support the converters at all times since it may put a lot of pressure on the lens itself due to their weight. We'll see.

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 7:19 AM   #4

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
Since I can't seem to find the lens adapter for the FZ18 anywhere, I ordered a couple of step rings and I'm going to try to attach theWA and tele converters I have straight on the lens. I just need to make sure I support the converters at all times since it may put a lot of pressure on the lens itself due to their weight. We'll see.
I would bet thats a recipe for disaster......someone sugggested getting 2 more of the adapters that came with the camera (they are available at Panasonic) if you screw them together it is the same as the adapter no one can find. LA3

I can not find that thread but you may find this interesting.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=25804086
Old Dec 5, 2007, 8:21 AM   #5

What is the difference between the SDHC and the regular SD card? Which should I purchase?

Thank you
rachunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 9:07 AM   #6

If you use a card over 2 gb ....with the FZ18 you need SDHC.....

but if you use 2 gb or less the SD card is your only option and is what you want. The cards are rated different the SD cards are rated at speeds from about 32X to 150 X ......with faster being better but not necessary........

While SDHC cards are Rated Class 2 -4 or 6......again classs 6 beingfaster but not necessary.

But with the price of cards anymore it hardly makes sense to buy the slower cards as they may really not work well with your next camera.

rachunter wrote:
Quote:
What is the difference between the SDHC and the regular SD card? Which should I purchase?

Thank you
Old Dec 5, 2007, 7:14 PM   #7

Yes, I'm aware of the potential problems, Gene. The adapter that came with the FZ18 is for the hood and I don't believe it's threaded at the end where the hood attaches to. Therefore, I don't see how having two extra ones would work. I also have the Raynox 52mm converter for the FZ20 but it does not attach to the FZ18 very smoothly, so I rather not force it in. The step up ring attached to the lens can be a viable solution as long as I provide enough support so the pressure is not on the lens.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote