Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 6, 2007, 9:51 PM   #1

from what i can gather, cs2 does not support my fz8 raw format pics. can anyone confirm this? the photoshop website states that the 4.3 plugin update supports fz8 but that it will not work in cs2, only cs3. is there a work-around for this?

ya know, if photoshop didn't make the best editor (imo), i would junk it. they really tick me off with their proprietariness.

tia

ellen fl
ellenfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2007, 8:06 AM   #2

You are correct and the only workaround is to get the latest DNG converter from adobe and use that to convert the Raw to DNG......IMHO, Easier to forget RAW.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 8:51 AM   #3

As Genece said, I have an FZ8 and have processed RAW files in CS2 by converting them to DNG via the free converter you can download from Adobe's website. The compatibility of CS2 with RAW files for newcameras going forwardended when CS2 was replaced by CS3.

The other option would be to use the supplied Silkypix RAW developer, which I have started playing with more and am starting to like quite a bit.It's definitely not as fluid as processing a RAW file in ACR and having it pop up in Photoshop for additional work, but the program works really well for FZ8 files.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 9:19 AM   #4

thanks, i will download the dng converter. the only reason i sold my fx07 and bought the fz8, as a replacement snapshot camera, is because it uses the raw format. it is the only format i use.

i tried silkypix but did not figure out how to save the processed file!?

oh, and i will not buy cs3 . . . at least not until it is obsolete and i can then afford it! that's the other thing that irks me about ps . . . you cannot upgrade.

ellen fl
Old Dec 7, 2007, 10:01 AM   #5

ellenfl wrote:
Quote:
thanks, i will download the dng converter. the only reason i sold my fx07 and bought the fz8, as a replacement snapshot camera, is because it uses the raw format. it is the only format i use.

i tried silkypix but did not figure out how to save the processed file!?

oh, and i will not buy cs3 . . . at least not until it is obsolete and i can then afford it! that's the other thing that irks me about ps . . . you cannot upgrade.

ellen fl
You can definitely upgrade CS2 to CS3...

http://www.adobe.com/products/photos...oshop/upgrade/

Before I can, I need to upgrade my computer. Based on my current machine, RAM/processor speed, I need to stick with CS2 for now.

Silkypix can be a bit quirky, but there is a development tab. I believe it's just labeled "DEV". You click on it and then you develope the file. It looks like you can even accumulate large numbers of files to be developed, then do it in one massive step after working all the files you want, but I have not tried that yet.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 1:09 PM   #6

ellenfl wrote:
Quote:
is because it uses the raw format. it is the only format i use.
I use RAW a lot with my DSLRs as I give up nothing to use RAW but the speed I give up to use Raw with the Panasonic cameras makes the format next to useless, IMHO.

But many feel differently and you seem to fall into that group.......so you will need to find something that works for you.......I have CS3 and still find Panasonics Raw less than a satisfactory solution.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 10:29 PM   #7

yes, genece, i really do prefer to shoot in raw, mostly for the exposure adjusting that's possible. i really am restricted by the lighting i have to work with.

thank you all for the dng converter info. i downloaded it tonight and it will definitely fill the bill! i tried it on one of my fz8 raw pics and it worked perfectly.

ellen fl