Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 8, 2007, 10:44 PM   #1

While awaiting a new camera I am cleaning and organizing pictures.

Someone on flickr said what a great shot, and the bird is the iceing on the cake. I did not bother telling her I would not have bothered taking the shot without the bird in it.

A few minutes later and a bit down the shore. This one not cropped at all. The others are, and one can see how noise shows up more when low light photos cropped and enlarged.

Not a very good shot, but I like that you can see the crayfish pincers open. This gull was very high and fast and being chased by others so I felt lucky to get even this shot. I would like to improve on this but am not holding my breath. Although, this morning one flew by me with a frozen crawfish in his mouth. The other birds did not even bother chasing him.

Watching winter wander in. If I took this shot today the bird would have his head all hunkered down against the biting wind and the well below freezing temperature, but it was only a little below freezing with a single digit (mph) wind speed.

Nothing great, but I hope you enjoy the look.

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2007, 3:49 PM   #2

Thanks for sharing Steve. Beautiful sky. Great capture of the bird with food in mouth. I find that sort of moving shot almost impossible, so I appreciate the skill it took to take it.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 6:28 PM   #3

Very nice sunsets Steve. I agree with you, the first shot would beless captivating without the bird in it.

Emmanuel
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 6:36 PM   #4

The first 2 shots show gorgeous colours, although I agree that shot 1 wouldnt look as effective without the bird.
Like the other shots too, and like Raf, I can appreciate how hard it would have been to get the flight shot.
I look forward to seeing the shots with your new camera once it arrives, I bet you cant wait :-)

Mark H
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 7:12 PM   #5

Thanks for commenting Rafael, Emmanuel and Mark. And yes Mark, I am a bit eager for the camera to come. I do want to try out that long zoom, and am hopeful I will be able to get decent distance shots without a tele converter, even if I have to drop resolution to do it. I have lost a lot of shots because I could not back off zoom when needed with converter, or the subject was too far away and left before I could get converter on. Wednesday they say it will arrive. Hopefully the rare duck will still be at the end of the pier then.

http://www.ilbirds.com/index.php?topic=897.0
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 7:31 PM   #6

I agree with your thinking regarding using the extended zoom....I very rarely use a tcon now with the fz50 - far easier to just change between EZ modes,and you can use the full zoom range if required too. I`ll keep my fingers crossed that your camera arrives on time

Mark H
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 10:11 PM   #7

Nice shots, Steve. I also waiting to see some photos with the new cam. I know they witll be great.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote