Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 16, 2007, 1:24 AM   #11

basically WMP has the ability to play the apple mov files. But, since its not thiers they don't claim they can. All they do is say we can TRY to play the file. You click yes and it works. I think it only works on the new one so easy the other says would you like to download the codec and you click yes. Then it runs you into the we will try to play this extention altho its not a WMP extention
hercules71185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2007, 1:27 AM   #12

Does anyone have the problem of playing the file in quicktime and its glitchy? Its weird I have that. Considering I have a VERY powerful PC.
AMD 6000 x2
4gb ddr2 800 (registers as 3.15 since windows doesn't accept more)
3 320gb hard drives
nvidia 8800gt
and its all overclocked. So my glitches.. I have no idea why its doing that. I can use quicktime and play 1080p movies and no problem. Same with VLC. But, my mov file skips under quicktime. Yet flawless on VLC
Anyone else have this problem?
Old Dec 17, 2007, 3:49 PM   #13

Hi All,

no problems here ,
but this url can be usefull.
Here you can convert almost all formats video, audio, text and maybe more.
Converting is online and works for me very good.

nicknaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 2:57 AM   #14

Sorry, : this one...........
http://media-convert.com/omzetten/
nicknaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 8:36 AM   #15

nicknaam wrote:
Quote:
Hi All,

no problems here ,
but this url can be usefull.
Here you can convert almost all formats video, audio, text and maybe more.
Converting is online and works for me very good.
I have almost no experience with movies but the card you record on can effect the output quality........A card of at least 66X has been recommended and really even faster is better.........also the card needs to be freshly formatted.....I do not know if any of that applies to you ,I just thought I would mention it.

Also I think I had my best results with cards in the 2 gb size and 150X speed....Just something to consider. Smaller cards are too slow and I have one SDHC card and it seems to also have a problem with movies. That may just be the cards I have but its worth considering.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2007, 6:22 AM   #16

happy_peasant wrote:
Quote:
This made me curious. I just watched a short video in Quicktime, then the same video in Windows Media Player and there was no change. Not converted, just played with a different software. I think the first time I played a Quicktime file in Media Player I got a message about possible problems and should I continue and I said yes. And had no problem then or since.
Unfortunately, my media player doesn't play it. I get audio but no video. I will have to look into why.
Stujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 9:14 PM   #17

I have the same camera and the same problem. And the .mov files the Panasonic makes do not play in my Windows Media Player, even if you try and force it to.

Perhaps Pnansonic is using a different codec or something, as I believe I have been able to open other Quicktime files in WMP.
im5150too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 9:17 AM   #18

I'm using that converter listed above the media convert site. it sucks I can only go up to 150mb I have a 90 second vid well over that I'd like to shrink

quick download if you want it. http://www.free-codecs.com/download_...1801&s=135
Old Jan 11, 2008, 10:19 PM   #19

hey to all. You want a divx ripper that is ok? and free? figured you did. Dr Divx google it. It's freeware and converts nicely. My files shrink to about 12% of the original size. the quality is ok. Not the same. I think you can increase the settings but, I don't have any vids that I'm nit picking at. The online one took forever and didn't work as well for me. If you want a quickie to do it. And no downloading then its fine. When I said sucks Its not THAT bad. Just not what I wanted
Old Jan 17, 2008, 9:08 PM   #20

I use 2 or 3 different apps to do this, but PocketDivXEncoder is the only one that I use that is free. Here's the website:

http://www.pocketdivxencoder.net/

It's a very powerful application that can convert a variety of different formats for you. Initially, it can be a little daunting, but once you learn your way around, it's a rather easy application to use.

Originally, it was written to convert video files to "pocket" formats for iPods, PDA's and other media players. So, in the setup you'll see default settings for a variety of portable devices. However, there is also a "PC" setting that just converts the file to something "PC" sized. One nice feature is that you can convert in batch (convert a group of separate files one after the other unmonitored).

It converts the files to Divx (.AVI extension), and it also has an XVid setting. To convert QuickTime MOV files, you will still need to have QuickTime installed on the PC -- PocketDivxEncoder uses it to play the file while it's converting it to a .AVI.

Hope this helps someone. If you try it and get lost, feel free to post questions. I'm rather familiar with this application.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote