Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 11, 2007, 5:44 PM   #1

Hi all,

I recently purchased an FZ18 for a trip, with which I've been very pleased - it's light, easy to use, and the zoom is great (just wish I could use the zoom during videos.)

Howver, on getting back home I find that the movies will only play with Quicktime. I want to take them into work and show them around, but I can'tload new software on my work desktop due to security issues. If I want to convert them to WMV or some such, it appears I have to fork out 20GBP extra for Quicktime Pro (the camera only comes with Quicktime Player, which will not let you convert).

Having paid out 300GBP for the camera itself, I'm somewhat loathe to do that, and I think it's disgusting that on purchasing a camera you are tied into such a proprietary programme -Panasonic should provide Quicktime Pro to permit you to convert the files (I've not had this problem with my Ricoh or KM.)

Enough wingeing! - I'm hoping one of you nice, kind souls might know of a workaround that can help?

Thank you!!
Wibblemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2007, 6:40 PM   #2

I feel your frustration. I hate being locked into the quicktime format.

This thread might be of help:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=23
fina23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 6:43 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
f I want to convert them to WMV or some such, it appears I have to fork out 20GBP extra for Quicktime Pro (the camera only comes with Quicktime Player, which will not let you convert).
[snip]
I think it's disgusting that on purchasing a camera you are tied into such a proprietary programme...
Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black? WMV is also a proprietary format. ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Video

As a Linux user, I consider WMV to be the *least* desirable of any of the popular video formats, because it's so proprietary, with few Linux distros including codecs by default because of legal concerns. I don't blame Panasonic for not including software to convert to it.

I think a better way for camera manufacturers to go would be an open source video format like Theora

Then, you wouldn't have all of the licensing/royalty issues involved.

FFmpeg is one open source utility (command line) that can convert video. If you search using Google, you can find some sites that have it compiled for Windows.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...wnload+windows

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 8:10 AM   #4

Here is one that works....there are many more

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

another

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mp4cam2avi/

And about the proprietary format I think companies should use what the majority of their customers use and that sure would not be Apple or Linux.....there really is no advantage to Oucktime as far as I can see....Panasonic should wake up and use a morecommon format like most other mfg.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 5:16 PM   #5

Thank you all for your replies!

I'll have a play with those programmes when I get a moment - currently trying to bring myself to list my KM A2 on Ebay (it's too heavy and big, so I've not used it - but it *feels* nice - feeling nice is no good if I'm not taking piccies with it - the FZ-18 is far more useable for me - but the A2 has a bigger sensor....the FZ18 has a bigger zoom....ARRRGGGH!!!)
Wibblemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 12:38 AM   #6

You know you can use VLC and it plays quicktime flawlessly from the fz18.. A converter. I have one on my main computer when I get up in a bit I'll go there when I edit my pics and check the name of the converter for you
hercules71185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2007, 2:10 PM   #7

I did not try it with My FZ18, but with my FZ7 videos I could right-click on them and click on open with and work my way to Windows Media Player. I checked always use this program for this type of file while I was at it and that was it. I have in the past converted and resized videos but this is much easier.

Having said that, I will add to the chorus of voices saying Panasonic should switch formats.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2007, 2:30 PM   #8

yea media player 11 and maybe 10 will play mov files. You might need a plugin but, it does work.
hercules71185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2007, 11:22 PM   #9

I greatly dislike quicktime but I have yet to be able to convert a .mov file to anything else and not suffer in quality...image quality and color.
Stujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2007, 11:48 PM   #10

Stujoe wrote:
Quote:
I greatly dislike quicktime but I have yet to be able to convert a .mov file to anything else and not suffer in quality...image quality and color.
This made me curious. I just watched a short video in Quicktime, then the same video in Windows Media Player and there was no change. Not converted, just played with a different software. I think the first time I played a Quicktime file in Media Player I got a message about possible problems and should I continue and I said yes. And had no problem then or since.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote