Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 12, 2007, 8:04 PM   #1

Yes I know, most of these will probably look "OVERPOSTPROCESSED" to some/most of you

More pictures and panoramas of this day:
http://www.francescoraffaele.com/web-y2007/Terminio.htm

More pics here:
http://www.francescoraffaele.com/web...elva-Porco.htm

Bye, Francesco

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2007, 9:06 AM   #2

Awesome shots, Narmer. I really like your post processing, especially your borders on the pics. The large one of the people running through the snow really sticks out.

A couple of questions - did you use a polarizer? Also do you usually shoot RAW with your FZ20 or just stick to the JPEGS?

fina23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 9:33 AM   #3

Hi Fina.

I had a polarizer with me but didn't use.
Now that you tell me, I d like to see the effect of good polarization in snow pictures.
Anyhow in both the shooting occasions I had my hands frozen, so I didn't think much about the shots. I neither had the hood, which I generally don't use (in the sun pics, it helps, but it is also boring to have to remove it when I have to set the polarizer).

It's important to overexpose 1/3 or even 2/3 in snow pics, at least when you re using centre wighted Exposure system (and maybe even more with spot, depending on where you re metering... don't know with Matrix). If you leave at o EV, snow will look grey for FZ20 meter tends to give back average gray. Don't know with FZ30-50.

FZ20 doesn't have RAW only jpg and Tiff (never use the latter for it is 14Mb and really equal to the jpg).
I have my FZ20 since 3 years and though I still bite my hands for not having bought a FZ30 when I could, I am actually a bit indecised if taking a FZ50 (of which I hate the too aggressive NR***) or waiting for a FZ60 (if ever is going to be one) or jumping to dSLRs.

***Note that I actually process in some way ANY pic I put on my pages. But Ultra Zoom and other compact cams (i.e. small CCDs) RAWs are IMO not as miracolous as in dSLR, and I often have to shoot in burst mode. So I d like next FZ UZ will have (like or more than FZ18) more in camera (jpg) options for NR, Contrast, satur and Sharpnes, at least -3 0 +3. Noise is easy to remove, whilefine details effaced by heavy NR cannot... One has such a Leica lens and then all details get lost when you see the pic at 100%.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:40 AM   #4

These are beautiful, Narmer. Nothin' wrong with what you did with these that I can see. That may be more snow than I've personallyseen in my lifetime...

That first bigger image of the kids running down thehillis just fantastic, but I would take any of them.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 11:43 AM   #5

I like what you've done with postprocessing Francesco. The one with people running down the hill is very nice, the colours are vivid and the snow is crisp white! But my favorite is the one where the person is stepping out of the frame.

Emmanuel
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 7:48 PM   #6

I have to second MacNite. The people going down the hill is great. But, I also love the one of the person stepping out of the frame, almost realistic.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 11:03 PM   #7

Narmer, thanks for the detailed response. The reason why I asked if you used a polarizer was the color of the sky in the first few pics.

I feel the same way for the TIFF files on the FZ30, they aren't any better than the high level JPEGS and just waste card space. I've been shooting RAW recently, just to get a feel for the post processing techniques. Detail wise the photos aren't that much better than the JPEGS but I really like the way you can control the white balance and noise to a better degree. I too am wondering if I should make the jump to DSLR, I had a chance to shoot my friend's wedding with his Nikon D200 a few months ago and that was awesome to play around with. But I'm still learning new things with my FZ30 every day so I'm gonna hold off for a while...

If they ever do make an FZ60 I might think about getting it, but only if Panasonic stops this silly megapixel game. Unlikely though, even Fuji finally gave in with their 6 megapixel jump from the F30 to the F50. Marketing
fina23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2007, 12:09 PM   #8

Great shots.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 6:29 AM   #9

Thanks to all of you.

Photoshop has a good part in that. I also use Manual WB for a less unprecise color rendition.

FZ20 WB is nearly a disaster, if you compare with correct WB shots.
(Note: in my exif there is no: Software version . 1.00 as I find in many other FZ20 photos exif data... don't know if there is some color adjustment in the latter ones)

Rarely use Auto WB, except in some situations where others fail.
In most cases it has bad casts (which many, including myself at the beginning, before comparingsame shots with those from a cheap CanonPowershoot A300). Som couldn't even detect that it has issues, but let do comparisons...
In sunny days its issues tend to diminish, with only a cyan oversaturation in the skies.

Sunny WB has generally a slight cyan-green cast in skies.

Cloudy WB has a somewhat heavy yellow cast.

Manual is hard to adjust, but unless of big blunders of mine, it ├╣generally works better than all the other ones. Though rarely in any light condition (have to fine tune it towards red or blue). And never nearly perfect as I see in dSLR and easily also in some cheaper Canon, Nikon , Sony or other compact cams too.

Very bad, for I ve always loved color response from the FZ5, probably the best one in the FZ line.
And als overy bad not to have 2 WB stor. like in FZ30., 50 and newer ones.

http://www.francescoraffaele.com

Old Dec 24, 2007, 9:44 AM   #10

I liked your winter shots so much......
At least we have got a little bit of winter here too:

I wish you a merry christmas and a happy new year, Francesco.

Sven

seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote