Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 21, 2007, 2:22 AM   #11

Thanks for info Rafael and Tullio, and for more info Gene.

Where it is at now is I sent them an email saying did they know they had sent a different filter then what I had ordered and they said they had shipped. I did not say I wanted to return or anything. They sent an email right back saying oops and they would send correct one and I should send back the wrong one. I am going to wait a day more to see if they send new one since they said within three days they would send it. If I ever get a Hoya one I will test it and see what happens before deciding on next step.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2007, 2:28 AM   #12

I may be wrong, Steve (and I hope I am) but I doubt you'll receive the Hoya filter from them. They did the same exact thing to me. I've tested many filters (UV, Skylight, Pol, etc.) of many brands and Tiffen is not a very good one, IMO. They are not nearly as effective as some other popular brands. I'd simply return it and get the money back before it's too late.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2007, 8:30 AM   #13

happy_peasant wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for info Rafael and Tullio, and for more info Gene.

Where it is at now is I sent them an email saying did they know they had sent a different filter then what I had ordered and they said they had shipped. I did not say I wanted to return or anything. They sent an email right back saying oops and they would send correct one and I should send back the wrong one. I am going to wait a day more to see if they send new one since they said within three days they would send it. If I ever get a Hoya one I will test it and see what happens before deciding on next step.
I hope it works for you....Actually after many Emails and one phone call with them they had UPS pickup my card reader ....now to see if they creditme for the refund.... I buy most of my filters and some other items from 2 filters.

http://www.2filters.com/
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2007, 9:21 AM   #14
jcr

Hoya has different grades of filters some are"just" good others arevery good...I had some and distributed them over friends, but on my FZ30 Iprefer higher grade to match Leica Lens...So I opted to excellent B&W F-Pro Line for UV and also B&W Linear Polarizer, circular are required for SLR, but linear have better results on our's FZ...:|

Regards

JC
jcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2007, 12:00 PM   #15

Steve,

I realize that you still have to work things out with Overstock.com, but just for the record, in addition
to The Filter Connection http://www.2filter.com as Gene mentioned and from whom I, too, have purchased some of my filters, I can also recommend Robin Kanta Photographic Supply http://www.photofilter.com from whom I've purchased some of my other filters.

And, as JC mentioned, Hoya makes multiple lines of filters. Stay away from the uncoated (Green label) or standard coated (Blue label) and go with the multicoated (Silver label) or, better yet, super multicoated (Black label).

And one last thing. I, too, will testify that -- at least on my FZ20 -- a linear polarizer works better than a circular. (The only reason I own a circular is that I couldn't find a decent linear for quite a while.)

--
Dick
http://rschofield.smugmug.com/

rschofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2007, 12:35 PM   #16

About a year and a half ago I performed extensive filter tests (UV and polarizer only) using Hoya, Tiffen, Sigma, Promaster, B&W, Tamronand even Fotodiox (a cheap brand sold primary on eBay) and Tiffen,as well as a few other brands from my film days thatyou can no longer find these days (i.e. Toyo, Albinar, Kenko, etc,). Unfortunately I never wrote any paper on the results af those tests but I still have my notes. The bottom line, I have not come across any filter that would actually degrade the image in an obvious way except for the Kenko polarizer. That one is probably the worse filter any one can have. Depending on how you position it, it turns blue into purple, grey into a pink'ish grey, green into a yellow'ish green, etc. It's an absolute piece of junk. I concluded at the time that the Sigma MC UV filter was the most effective of all (even more so than the expensive B&W) followed by Hoya / B&W (these two produced very similar results that was hard to differentiate), Toyo, Promaster and Albinar. Both the Tiffen and Fotodiox filters did nothing to the image. So, if you want to save some serious bucks, you can buy the MC Fotodiox UV from eBay. They are better built than the Tiffen andwill protect your lens just fine w/o affecting the image (and your pocket).All filters were MC but notSMC. Iseriously do not believe that a super expensive SMC filter will do a so much better job than a MC filter. However a non-MC filter may cause reflection and ghosts depending on how the light is reaching the lens, so I'll avoid non-MC filters. Now, when it comes to polarizers, it's a total different story. A bad polarizer will literally destroy your image. The Hoyas performed real well against B&W and Tamron. I used the name in the plural because I tested theHoya cir. polarizer and the Moose cir. pol. as well as an old linear pol I had. First, I found absolutely no difference in effectiveness between the C pol and L pol filters. This translates into $$$ in your pocket since the L pol are much cheaper. However, there is a huge difference between the normal Hoya pol and the Moose (warm pol) in terms of color. If you like warm tones, the Moose is the way to go. It produces beautiful images specially if you are photographing water (lakes, ocean, rivers, etc.) or snow. It removes the blue cast you get when photographing subjects in early morning shadows and late afternoon snow scenes. It also affects the greens (almost too much for my taste) but you can easily reduce the saturation in Picasa. See below a couple of examples showing the difference between images withthe warm Moosepol vs. no pol. filter. These shots were taken at Point Reyes (N. Cal.)around 10:00 am with my Sony H1. There was a lot of fog, which hadjust started to dissipate.

No pol filter. You can see the strongblue'ish tone of the water as well as the roof of the house and little shed on the left. A cold image to say the least.
Attached Images

Old Dec 21, 2007, 12:37 PM   #17

This one was taken with the Moose pol. filter on. A much more pleasant image IMO. The water has a more natural look as well as the house and light house. However, you can tell that the rocks have now a bit ofan orange cast to them.
Attached Images

Old Dec 21, 2007, 12:38 PM   #18

This image was also taken with the Moose filter...
Attached Images

Old Dec 21, 2007, 12:39 PM   #19

And this is what you can do in Picasa to change it according to your taste...
Attached Images

Old Dec 21, 2007, 3:48 PM   #20

I appreciate your explanation of the filters but I do find a flaw when you use a photo with a definate WB problem.....to try and make a case for a moose filter....which left that photo about as equally off in color tone.....

No polarizer correct WB
genece is offline   Reply With Quote