Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 18, 2007, 1:18 AM   #1

Does anyone have experience with Hoya and Tiffen circular polarizing filters. I ordered a Hoya 46mm filter for my camera and they sent me a Tiffen. They seem to think they sent a Hoya and I thought I would ask this question here before contacting them.

Now the duck. A Canvasback female.

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2007, 1:38 AM   #2

I have used Tifen filters on my DSLR with no problem, they are good quality but cheaper than Hoya's if you paid for a Hoya, get it.

PS: Nice duck picture, whats that its sitting on looks COLD!!! :lol:
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 2:10 AM   #3

Steve, I use Hoya for both UV (lens protector) and Circular polarizer. The CP is a terrific filter and works a treat, it is one of the better grade ones. The UV is OK. Round these parts Hoya is probably the biggest brand. Their stuff goes from low priced OK to pro level and quite expensive.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 7:11 PM   #4

Thanks Rafael and 2many. I ordered the filter from a place called Overstock.com, and it was not overly expensive. I was playing with settings today so I can't say for sure how much the filter had to do with it, but I took a hundred pictures and none of them were sharp. Not a super bright day but I was taking pictures on snow so that should not have been a big factor.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 8:54 PM   #5

A very nice looking duck. As for the filters, the best I can offer, is that Hoya is known to be top of the line by most of the people I know who are into photography.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 9:14 PM   #6

Well I have tried to say many times a circular polarizer is not the best choice for a FZ camera.......In fact no polarizer is good for sharp photos but a circular polarizer has two more surfaces than a linear polarizer which IMHO, leads to more IQ loss.

Polarizers are great for their intended purpose.....but IMHO, sharp photos is not one of those things.

And If you try to return that filter to Overstock I wish you better luck than I am having trying to return a card reader that was DOA .....I am at least 2 weeks into a debate with overstock.........Never again do I purchase anything from them.

One other thing I do not believe any Tiffen filters are Multi coated.....again not the best choice.......
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 10:55 PM   #7

genece wrote:
Quote:
Polarizers are great for their intended purpose.....but IMHO, sharp photos is not one of those things.

And If you try to return that filter to Overstock I wish you better luck than I am having trying to return a card reader that was DOA .....I am at least 2 weeks into a debate with overstock.........Never again do I purchase anything from them.

One other thing I do not believe any Tiffen filters are Multi coated.....again not the best choice.......
Well, I certainly can't disagree with your opinion on sharp photos based on my sampling of shots with this one.

I sent them an email but did not yet fill out the return form. I will let you know what happens down the road.

Looking at Hoya filters here and there online it appears some are multi-coated and some are not. I will have to see if Overstock has any Hoyas actually in stock and if so see what they have.

Thanks for thoughts.
Steve
Old Dec 19, 2007, 7:56 AM   #8

It is very difficult to find a linear polarizer that is MC but even if you can not find one that is ....linear is still your best choice......Regardess of what you may read on the internet .......do not believe you need circular, only cameras with split beam metering systems (DSLRs) need circular
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2007, 7:28 PM   #9

genece wrote:
Quote:
It is very difficult to find a linear polarizer that is MC but even if you can not find one that is ....linear is still your best choice......Regardess of what you may read on the internet .......do not believe you need circular, only cameras with split beam metering systems (DSLRs) need circular
Gene is absolutely right on this. I should have clarified in my post that I bought the circular because I got a great deal on a multicoated one and I could not find multicoated linear anywhere locally.

Have not really noticed the sharpness thing myself, but then I am not much of a pixel peeper, go more for the emotional effect. I have however noticed that at times I get some strange white balance behaviour. Still a useful tool at times but not always, the -2V light loss is a big price to pay for birders. My recent St Kilda post are almost all with the polarizer, specifically for the -2EV than anything as it was extremely bright and I did not want to be shooting f11.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2007, 1:56 AM   #10

Steve, I'd stay away from Overstock.com. They did the same exact thing to me. I ordered a Hoya UV filter and they sent me a Tiffen. I contacted them, they apologized and asked me to return the filter for a replacement. I did that but never got the replacement Hoya filter. The excuse? They no longer had the filter in stock. Eventually I got my money back. Tiffen is a much cheaper filter and IMO, it shows why. The glass is not tightly fit to the PLASTIC ring and the effectiveness of the glass is not near ofthe Hoya, B&Wor Sigma filters. I'd send it back if I were you. Try B&H photo or Adorama (usually sold through Amazon.com). They have a large selection of filters (brands and sizes). B&H usually charges less for s/h than Adorama but the difference is minimum. Keep an eye on eBay as well. I bought a Cokin 46mm3-filter set (UV, Pol and ND) for my FZ18for $14 + $5 s/h. Remember, 46mm is not commonly used on digital cameras (46mm mountis usuallyvideo cameras) so the price is not as inflated.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote