Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 22, 2007, 11:51 PM   #1

I've been told that if I intend to print regular 6x4 prints, it's better to shoot in 5 or even 3 mp because that would reduce noise and effectively achieve sharper and better pictures. Is this correct?
doto41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2007, 3:45 AM   #2

If someone can possibly answer this for the fz18 for me too. One more thing. If my cameras ACTUAL resolution as tested on dpreview.com the resolution is aprox 2000 x 2000 and that is 4mp. If I lower my resolution to 5mp. Will this really affect my quality much since the camera can't actually use all 8? Theoretically I'm right. but, then its like a little less sharpness in every aspect equals more in the long run
hercules71185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2007, 8:47 AM   #3

To try and answer both questions.......noise is directly related to the size of the pixels, smaller Pixels gather less light and you can do nothing about the size once the mfg crams them into the sensor......so you will not get less noise by shooting in the reduced resolution........but if you see noise in a 4X 6 print you better rethink how you are taking or processing the photo.

And Hercules....I think you may be taking things out of content........the FZ18 has great resolution.....I did not see the reference you made but the resolution of a the FZ18 much better than any 4 mp camera I have owned....they probably are referring to the size people view, either in print or on screen......if that is the only thing that you are worried about .you do not need an 8mp camera.

My wife will not touch the settings in a camera.....so I set the camera for her and if we are somewhere the wildlife may be faraway, I will set the camera on 5EZ ....and she will not change it... so if the wildlife gets closer or she is taking a scenery photo its still at 5EZ.......the photos are still great but when I go to edit one for a special use, usually a large print......there just is not the room for processing as a shot at full resolution.

So its all a compromise she can get a better focus and metering at the 5 EZ which is fine for about 90% of the photos but she gives up some editing abilities that only concern about 10% of the photos......

But I am not sure what DPreview means that the camera can not use all 8mps, perhaps they are comparing a 4mp photo with no noise ( like perhaps the D2H)to a 8mp photo with noise......I am not sure but I feel you would be making a mistake to not use the camera to its fullest ability.

Dpreview is a very good resource for reviews but they are hung up over noise....they have knocked all FZs for noise.........ignoring the fact they are the best ultrazooms available.

One other thing about resolution I have my monitor set at 1280 resolution and I see very little noise in a photo but if your monitor is set at 1920 pixels you will see more noise (I think)\

The above is only my opinion and others may feel differently

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2007, 3:02 PM   #4

I'm definitely not complaining about quality at all its very impressive. I was just curious since they have that resolution chart thing and tested the actual pixels against all superzooms the resolution was the highest on the fz18. I don't think noise is a problem at iso 100 even at 1920 x 1200
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pana...z18/page15.asp
that is what I was referring to. I am pretty positive just using common sense that lowering the MP altho the actual is lower. STILL causing more flaws creates lower image quality.
I agree the fz18 is better than any 4mp camera I have ever seen. Mainly due to a 4mp camera has a typical resolution of 1200x1200 from what I've seen. I was just curious
Old Dec 23, 2007, 6:12 PM   #5

I see what what you mean and thats definately over my head....There were a couple threads over the last couple of months on the Nikon DSLR forum about if the sensors had surpassed the lens resolution, and with my limited knowledge, Ifigured like you that they had......In our defense lots of people figured like us.......then came along the people with an education in that field to assure us it had not......now they were not in agreement if it would happen at 48mp......or if it were more along the line of 500mp......It was way over my head.....but those threads ended with the idea we can use more....do we need more, thats another story. You may be able to find that discussion at dpreview....I looked and I did not find it.

The result of the thread was along the line that 2000 lines of resolution have nothing to do with mp........as I said...... over my head.

The D50 has 2000 vertical pixels and that was used as an example.......there were many formulas relating one to the other.....but it was lost on me.

Old Dec 23, 2007, 11:12 PM   #6

overall what I want to know is if I lower my res on my computer to an 4mp equiv or 5 will my quality degrade? I will test it tonight and post if no one answers

Old Dec 24, 2007, 4:11 AM   #7

hercules71185 wrote:
Quote:
....if I lower my res on my computer to an 4mp equiv or 5 will my quality degrade?
Yes, but probably not noticeably so on a 6x4 print. Colour printing machines, someone once told me, do their imaging at around 400 pixels per inch, whatever the size of the original image file.

My first digicam, purchased in March 2002was a 3Mpixel Olympus C3020Z, a good machine for its time. Many of us were delighted with such digicams. It had an excellent lens, which is just as important as pixels. My son's mobile phone produces excellent 3Mpix images !

I have many good 10x8 enlargements from such images (or more recent cropped ones from larger originals, with similar numbers of pixels). Dithering and interpolation on resizing upwards before or during printing can work wonders, provided you have a sharp image to start with.

My 2 current digicams are little 7Mpix machines (a superzoom hybrid and a breast-pocketable one),but if I'm just snapshotting rather than attempting a masterpiece, I often have them turned down to 5Mpix. If an unexpectedly good image turns up among them, the image quality is still quite acceptable for anything but exhibition, provided I've composed it, focused & exposed correctly, and not shaken!

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2007, 6:24 AM   #8

I have a LOT of hard drive space so I typically just let things stay at hi res. It was just a question I had and pondered. I just like to know everything I guess. Whether it helps me or not haha. Thanks for the info you guys gave me. I typically print either 8x10 or 4x6. (I guess in every other country aside america you use the bigger number first?)

Another question for someone from another question. Since this is off topic I guess you can pm me. You don't use inches right. A4 is close to the letter equiv.
What do you call 4 x 6 or 6 x 4? Do you convert to CM?
Old Dec 24, 2007, 8:13 AM   #9

I had a pretty long answer typed out but if you feel a photo from a cell phone is good quality .......then the smaller resolution is fine for you.

Old Dec 24, 2007, 12:00 PM   #10

genece wrote:
Quote:
I had a pretty long answer typed out but if you feel a photo from a cell phone is good quality .......then the smaller resolution is fine for you.
Not ideally, obviously. But this one, sharpened & resized from my son's phone would do nicely as a 6x4, and an 8x6 if you didn't stand too close. I posted it before with its exif info in 'Landscape Photos' at http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...amp;forum_id=8.

I expect 3 or 4MPix crops clipped fromdSLR images with a good lens would print very well to quite large sizes.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote