Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 23, 2007, 4:47 PM   #1

This pocket compact camera has a lot of punch with 10x zoom and 7Mpxlsbut user reviews and photos are few and far between.

This site was referred to in an earlier post - and worth a look.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/tags/vasa/

maxpixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2007, 1:19 AM   #2

Go to the Panasonic Board over on DPReview and scan the posts....

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1033

There are PLENTY of posts on the TZ3, some good reportsand some bad, with many, many pictures, including these it took just a little time to find..

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=26110248

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=26095086

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=25942210

I've owned onenow for several months and have a couple of folders on my website..

http://www.gmchappell.smugmug.com/ga...0447#156043664

http://www.gmchappell.smugmug.com/ga...7994#165903262

Overall, I think it's a great camera. You can't beat it for the size and zoom range. I wish it had a couple of features Panasonic chose to leave off...an AE lock button and, possibly, RAW capture option. I've since purchased an LX2 and now prefer it for the wealth of user control at the expense of less zoom range, but I'm holding on to the TZ3 and do plan to continue using it.

For a cameramarketed as a point & shoot with few controls, it does, in my opinion, require more userknowledge than someone with no photographic experience, and most files do require a little post processing,to getthe bestresults possible.

From what I've seen reading the many TZ3posts over the past several months, many people who usethe TZ3strictly as a point & shoot seem to not get results they are happy with, and when they post images it's usually pretty easy to tell when you're looking at a TZ3 file that's had absolutely no post processing done to it. Then again,there are some users who have the parameters set right, use the right metering for the results they want, thelivehistogram and make exposure compensation adjustments as needed and get good out-of-camera results.

One also needs to know when, quite honestly, the subject is beyond the abilities of this camera. Flash performance is not great, but I don't use compacts for that, and whilethe TZ3does respectably well in lower light (see some of the stained glass and churchshots in my folder), it's not really a low light camera.

If you know what you are doing, you'll get good results with a TZ3...if you don't, you're just as likely to get bad results.

Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2007, 5:40 AM   #3

Greg, despite your reservations on it's limitations (and those of potential P&S users) they are great shots you posted on your website.

I'm looking for a small 'pocket' camera for a friend who wants it for travel and some social photography. He will not be looking at any histograms. Or do any post processing. As long as there's a program I can pre-set for him for +1/3 stop and centre weight on AUTO ISO it will have to do. After that he can select from the numerous options.

Given the very sophisticated image analysis software commercial photolabs use, even if whatever he wants to print is a somewhat lacking out of the box jpeg, the printer should correct it , no? At least you can hope so!

Comparing the TZ3 to the LX2 for a turn-on, P&S get the shot right first time out of the box, which camera would you choose?

The Canon A650IS although larger (with less zoom) than the TZ3 also gets kudos as a great performer when compared against the TZ3. What do you know about this one?

I use an FZ20, mostly on P with +1/3 stop. Sometimes on A at f5.2 (to force depth of field and inherent maximum optical definition at that aperture) Of course having F2.8 across the entire zoom range is another ball game which is a tradeoff only size can give you.

TJ

Attached Images

Old Dec 25, 2007, 7:38 PM   #4

maxpixels wrote:
Quote:
Greg, despite your reservations on it's limitations (and those of potential P&S users) they are great shots you posted on your website.
Quote:
First, that's a great shot you posted above!
Quote:
Thank you. I will say, I have post processed all of those images to some extent. In most cases, it's just been a matter of AUTO LEVELS with fading, if necessary, in Photoshop.

I'm looking for a small 'pocket' camera for a friend who wants it for travel and some social photography. He will not be looking at any histograms. Or do any post processing. As long as there's a program I can pre-set for him for +1/3 stop and centre weight on AUTO ISO it will have to do. After that he can select from the numerous options.
Quote:
There are three image "paramters" in the TZ3. "Natural", which has the least amount of sharpening and processing done and needs the most processing afterwards, "Standard" (the one I use), which is the middle groundand "VIVID", which utilizes the most sharpening and most vivid/bold colors. I would setup a TZ3 for a point & shooterat Vivid.

Given the very sophisticated image analysis software commercial photolabs use, even if whatever he wants to print is a somewhat lacking out of the box jpeg, the printer should correct it , no? At least you can hope so!
Quote:
The TZ3 tends towards overexposure, so if you were to "set the camera up", I'd do it with something in the neighborhood of -1/3.

Comparing the TZ3 to the LX2 for a turn-on, P&S get the shot right first time out of the box, which camera would you choose?
Quote:
I have a feeling most p&s users would not want an LX2 due to the primary format, which is 16:9.

The Canon A650IS although larger (with less zoom) than the TZ3 also gets kudos as a great performer when compared against the TZ3. What do you know about this one?
Quote:
The few times I've helped someone shop for a camera (almost always strict point & shooters) a Canon A-series is where the process has always wound up. Their cameras to me seem to do a better job of getting most things right in camera with the least need of doing anything afterwards. The LCD's are poor compared to Panasonic's LCD...looked at side by side to a Panasonic LCD, Canon digicamLCD imageshave a gritty look to them, but that obviously has nothing to do with the output.
Quote:
I prefer the 28mm focal length the Panasonic lenses start at, the results I get with post processing, and the handling/feature layout of the Lumix models, with the earlier noted exceptions I miss in a TZ3.

I use an FZ20, mostly on P with +1/3 stop. Sometimes on A at f5.2 (to force depth of field and inherent maximum optical definition at that aperture) Of course having F2.8 across the entire zoom range is another ball game which is a tradeoff only size can give you.
Quote:
When I mentioned that I don't use a TZ3 (or LX2)for flash photography, I should have added the camera I do use for that, which is an FZ50 and a separate flash unit. I love my FZ50...I wish it had the constant f2.8 you have in the FZ20(!), but otherwiseI'me very happy with the FZ50.

Old Dec 27, 2007, 5:07 PM   #5

Many thanks for the setup tips for the TZ3

One thing I did forget to ask - How fast is the WRITE speed on the SD card you use?

With continuous shooting have you experienced slowdowns?

I am recommending heuse aSandisk Ultra II which is 9MB/sec. Although for a little extra their Extreme III is 20 MB/sec .If he gets into serious 16:9 video at 30fpsthis may be the one to go for. It would be crazy to slow the camera down for the want of thecorrect specSD card when you push itsperformance to the limit

Having the hotshoe on the FZ20 or 50 and a powerful flash for bouncemakes life so much easier indoors

Old Dec 27, 2007, 9:25 PM   #6

maxpixels wrote:
Quote:
Many thanks for the setup tips for the TZ3

One thing I did forget to ask - How fast is the WRITE speed on the SD card you use?
Quote:
Using a Sandisk Ultra II card, files write virtually instantaneously.

With continuous shooting have you experienced slowdowns?
Quote:
I've rarely used this camera in continuous shooting mode, but there is an infinity continuousmode where the camera will shoot non-stop until the card is filled without ever stopping.

I am recommending heuse aSandisk Ultra II which is 9MB/sec. Although for a little extra their Extreme III is 20 MB/sec .If he gets into serious 16:9 video at 30fpsthis may be the one to go for. It would be crazy to slow the camera down for the want of thecorrect specSD card when you push itsperformance to the limit
Quote:
I use the Ultra II, 2 GB cards, which has a capacity of around 550 still images. Never shot one video. Memory is so cheap anymore. I can remember buying a 1GB card a few years agofor $300