Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 26, 2007, 1:30 AM   #1

what are your recommended settings for shooting in low light conditions with the fz8? both without flash and with? I'm trying and, struggling, to get the best results for the flash?
doto41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2007, 8:17 AM   #2

Something to try....without the flash set the sensitivity to at least ISO400 I am not afraid to go higher, as I would rather have a pnoto that is sharp even if it is noisey

With the flash set the ISO on AUto.and keep in mind the FZ flashes are not effective much over 10 to 15ft. and I would not use the red eye setting....in fact I just use the regular mode(less shutter delay)

For the same reason I do not use the scene modes but rather Program mode.

And I prefer CW metering, 1 area focus and I turn off Continuous AF .....Those settings are only my preference but I do believe you need to find settings that work for you and stick with them.......which is why I do not like auto mode or any of the scene modes. I am not able to keep track of the cameras I use and remember, this camera uses spot meter in this mode and this other camera uses CW meter in the same mode.

doto41 wrote:
Quote:
what are your recommended settings for shooting in low light conditions with the fz8? both without flash and with? I'm trying and, struggling, to get the best results for the flash?
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 9:04 AM   #3

doto41 wrote:
Quote:
Depends on what you're trying to shoot.

I like going to spot metering in low light conditions and metering only the highlights. The main thing you want to do is maximize your shutter speeds as much as possible, and the more dark areas you include in your meter reading, the more chances you'll wind up with a slower shutter speed and blow the highlight detail. Here are few low light images I took for my girlfriend, using her FZ8 (no flash)when she was having a hard time keeping her camera steady enough. This first image was a ceilingat Versailles where I spot metered on the light-colored horses...

This next image was a statue of Louis XIVat the chateauVaux le Vicomte. I spot metered on the face, allowing the surrounding walls to go darker. Had I used multi-segment metering, the camera may have used a longer shutter speed, lightening the walls and blowing the details in the statue..

This next image is one of Napoleon's swords on display at the Invalides in Paris. I spot metered on the gold of the sword. Gold will often be overexposed in dark lightdue to longer shutter speedsif you don't concentrate the metering on it. Spot metering also had the neat result of intensifying the reflection of the architecture of the buildingin the glass.

Don't just keep your camera stuck in the default metering setting. Work on learning to use the spot metering option. It will allow you to both maximize your shutter speeds in low light and create more dramatic effects. When you shoot in dark light, the idea is not to raise the levels of the dark surroundings. That's what keeps your shutter speeds to slow and will increase noise.You want to keep darkareas dark and bring out detail you want to show. Multi-segment metering rarely is your best choice in those type conditions.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote