Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 27, 2007, 1:13 PM   #1

Has anyone tried any kind of teleconverter with the FZ18? I know that the FZ series usually works great with the Olympus Tcon17, but how is it with the FZ18?

Yesterday I also managed to get my hands on the filter adapter LA3, but found an irritating problem. I want to have an UV filter on at most times to protect the lens, but since the LA3 adapter is so long I got a blackcircle in the image when I use full wideangle, if I zoom it disapears. My only guess is that Pana intended the LA3 to be used with converters only. Is this a design problem from Pana? Anyone who experience the same as me, or is there som problem with my FZ18?

Daniel Lagerström

Gotland, Sweden

daniell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2007, 4:40 PM   #2

Yes this is a FZ18 problem.....Pemaraal is working on an adapter for the FZ18....... I also have the Panasonic adapter and find it about useless......My wife is going to use the FZ18 and she will not add TCs or anything, but I did want to seal off dust from the lens but so far I am not satisfied with whats available.

I swore I would never get another FZ with an extending lens and I did it anyway.....no one to blame but myself.

http://www.pemaraal.com/index.php?page=PA62Epreview
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 6:13 PM   #3

You should be able to attach a 46mm filter directly to the lens with out any adapter, and there should be no vignetting. See the followingthread for amethod (with sample photos) of attaching a converter to the lens of this camera with a step-up adapter ring (this should also work with larger diameter filters if you already have them):

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...=23&page=2
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 3:01 AM   #4

penolta is correct. The FZ18 has a threaded lens (46mm) so you can attach filters directly to it, which is awesome. With older models, the adapter had to be attached at all times if you wanted to use filters. I don't have the TCON 17 but I do have the Sony 1.7x and the Ricoh 1.5x. They are both very light converters and workwell with a step up ring attached to the filter (is you are using one) or to the lens itself.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 7:18 AM   #5

While it would be acceptable to add a filter to the lens of the FZ18 (the camera is made for that)......adding a TC directly to the lens would be asking for trouble....too much weight on the lens mechanism. IMHO you should not attempt that,,,,,

Which is why there is a lens adapter available for the camera.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote