Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 1, 2008, 1:18 PM   #11

Once again thanks for the replies guys - especiall the links Greg - a very interesting and stimulating read:shock:

The pictures however were just the right response to those who were too busy trying to out-point each other. Whilst they argued the whys and wherefores, someone just went out and shot pin-sharp pics lol.

As Tsiya said, a very easy and inexpensive way to shoot little feathered things.

All the best for 2008
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 12:55 PM   #12

The extended optical zoom will not replace the benefits of a teleconverter like the TCON-17. If you shoot a shot at each of the extended zoom settings in your camera and then crop each picture to 100% each of the pictures will be the same size. If you shoot the same picture at the highest mp setting in your camera with a TCON-17 and then crop it to 100% it will be much larger then any of the other pictures.
I experimented with shooting the moon using each of the MP settings on my FZ-50 and at the 10MP setting using a TCON-17. The results were not even close, when cropped all of the extended zoom shots looked virtually identical while the shot using the TCON-17 was far better and much larger.
That being said, I do use the extended zoom at times as it cuts down on the file size and presents a larger image in the viewfinder for focusing.
The bottom line is, if you like the extended zoom then use it but consider getting a teleconverter if you really need to bring your subjects closer.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 4:41 PM   #13

Here is the shot I mentioned in my PM.

tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 5:38 PM   #14

tcook wrote:
Quote:
The extended optical zoom will not replace the benefits of a teleconverter like the TCON-17.
Yes, if I were a serious super-tele shooter I'd be using mine more often. I do have a TCON-17....bought it originally with the Olympus tube to use it with an SP550. It was just a happy coincidence for me it turned out to be a popular accessory as well for the FZ50 when I bought it, but today I rarely take it out because there are so few times I'm in a position that I would actually use it.

The same thing you said about the TCON-17can be applied togoing the other way. There are probably 100 or more users of tele lenses with their FZ's (maybe more)for every one who useswide adaptors...at least that's how it seems, with many preferring to stitch multiple files and deal with long, narrow imagesas upposed to using a wide angle lens that gives you a wide angle image that is easily printed on standard-size paper. I carry my DMW-LW55 widelens all the time to usewith my FZ50 or, when I have it instead,an FZ8.

In the end it's a matter of what types ofimages areimportant enough that you're willing to buy and carry around the accessories to take them.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 5:59 PM   #15

You can't think of focal points and AE points as true points, they are small plane surfaces. The closer you can come to filling the sensor areas with subject, the better the reading of the subject. If I can get a bird to fill the AE area, and not more sky than bird, I'll get a more accurate reading. I could be confused here, but this is the way I see it. Pics aren't scaled, just for demo.

tsiya is offline   Reply With Quote