Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 2, 2008, 6:28 PM   #1

The following three shots are unedited. Clicking on any of them will take you to the flickr page; you can then click the all sizes button and look at original. I took two shots at each setting and picked one. I might have picked the other one for the 8 MP setting but the bird turned his head and I wanted the shots to be as close to the same as I could get them. I would have done this with a smaller bird but none of them held still long enough. It was about 10 degrees F and they wanted to keep moving.

I put these here as that other thread was getting long. I will go along with what Ted said there though. If I needed the range often I would get a tele converter. So far though, the FZ18's added range over my FZ7 is keeping me contented.
8 MP

5 MP

3 MP

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2008, 6:38 PM   #2

Steve,

Great shots, and I dont see much difference in the quality of the pictures, just the 3mp is a much closer shot.

I have you all beat though, My adapter to hook the camera to my spotting scope should be here Friday or Monday, can you say 4000mm lens LOL :lol:
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 7:12 PM   #3

2many wrote:
Quote:
Steve,

Great shots, and I dont see much difference in the quality of the pictures, just the 3mp is a much closer shot.

I have you all beat though, My adapter to hook the camera to my spotting scope should be here Friday or Monday, can you say 4000mm lens LOL :lol:
That might be overkill. You will have to get a half mile away from the target to fit it in the frame I fear. I eagerly await your results though and hope I am wrong.

Old Jan 2, 2008, 8:57 PM   #4

A lot of the shots here on the refuge are a long way away, I doubt it will be over kill for them, there are still some close and for those I wont need to use it.
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 9:48 PM   #5

Nice job and well done, Steve.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 10:55 PM   #6

I have to read more carefully Steve, for a minute I was expecting to see shots of a heron at night then it dawned on me. I eventually catch on.:-)

If you want to see something interesting take a shot at full wide angle at each setting and then compare the shots unedited.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 11:12 PM   #7

tcook wrote:
Quote:
I have to read more carefully Steve, for a minute I was expecting to see shots of a heron at night then it dawned on me. I eventually catch on.:-)

If you want to see something interesting take a shot at full wide angle at each setting and then compare the shots unedited.
You know, I never thought of that. I am such a zoom using person I don't even know that wide angle exists, even though the reviewers all thought it was the most useful change to the lens ratio.

Although the heron was not shot during the night it did get dark often. These were shot from a bridge and every time a semi went by the bird was lost in the darkness of the shadow. And who knows, they might have been sharper if the bridge had not kept moving because of all the truck traffic.

Thanks for commenting Ted, and thanks also 2many and Jerry. I am going to now make a bird post and will put one there that was shot in RAW and edited. Not really that much difference.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 11:44 PM   #8

I visited your Flickr site and I must admit you've done a excellent job with the FZ18.

Emmanuel
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 12:21 AM   #9

Macnite wrote:
Quote:
I visited your Flickr site and I must admit you've done a excellent job with the FZ18.

Emmanuel
Thanks Emmanuel. It is a fun camera to use. So many interesting features I don't know if I will ever get to them all.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 3:36 PM   #10

2many wrote:
Quote:
Steve,

I'd be interested in seeing those as I read on a forum the size of the lens and zoom would make it a poor choice for digiscoping as 3-4x magnification would be better. Indeed it was recommended to add a 1.7 converter to multiply the existing reach.

Of course rules are meant to be broken - look forward to your efforts

Steve
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote