Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 2, 2008, 11:36 PM   #1

I am getting the hang of the camera. I am also learning that I screw up settings a lot when I try and change them under the gun with thick gloves on. And if I take them off the metal shutter button is a lot colder then the FZ7 one was.

That shot with the heron at three different MP settings that I put in another post: I tried to do that with a gull way out in the lake this morning. But I lost him among the ice chunks, which is why I settled for the Black-crowned Night-Heron. Here is that same heron, shot in RAW, edited a bit and a few branches rmoved, and then cropped.

There is a water reclamation plant nearby. This was shot where the treated water gushes out into the channel. Lots of foam and a fair number of ducks, like this male Common Goldeneye.

A Herring Gull. Not great, but I like the angle.

And a Ring-billed Gull. Also a different angle then I usually get.

Red-tailed Hawk 1

Red-tailed Hawk 2

New Years Day Swan

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2008, 8:26 AM   #2

Very nice, Steve. I like the BIF shots.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 10:48 AM   #3

great you have the new camera and are putting it to good use.
Donna A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 6:10 PM   #4

Nice series, as usual, Steve.
What settings do you use for the BIF pix? The few I have tried tend to be OOF and incorrectly exposed. Do you use Manual and pre-set focus/exposure? Red Dot sight (I miss most of the time!!!)?
I am always impressed by your skill with birds.
I like the way you have cropped for composition.
WindRowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 11:08 PM   #5

WindRowe wrote:
Quote:
What settings do you use for the BIF pix? The few I have tried tend to be OOF and incorrectly exposed. Do you use Manual and pre-set focus/exposure? Red Dot sight (I miss most of the time!!!)?
Settings are spot focus and metering. With this camera I have tried with continuous auto-focus on and with it off and have yet to decide which I like. I did try once manual focus at infinity for a far off very large bird and results were terrible. I have to try that again. Reason I tried is because bird was too close to angle of the sun and the camera refused to lock on. I could get birds like that with my FZ7.
As far as actual settings, my preferred flight settings are ISO 100 if possible, and 1/1000 shutter speed and as high an aperture as I can get away with. I will alter those settings as needed. If gloom dictates shutter speed be too low or ISO too high I will shoot birds for practice but then ignore the shots as they don't make me smile.

And no Red Dot. I point where they are and take their picture.

Thanks for looking and commenting. And the good questions. I may have different answers as I get used to the camera. And when it gets warm enough I can take gloves off and be able to change settings on the fly.

Thanks also Jerry and Donna.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 2:46 PM   #6

Good shots Steve, the next to last is my favorite.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 4:18 PM   #7

happy_peasant wrote:
Quote:
WindRowe wrote:
Quote:
Settings are spot focus and metering. With this camera I have tried with continuous auto-focus on and with it off and have yet to decide which I like. I did try once manual focus at infinity for a far off very large bird and results were terrible. I have to try that again. Reason I tried is because bird was too close to angle of the sun and the camera refused to lock on. I could get birds like that with my FZ7.
As far as actual settings, my preferred flight settings are ISO 100 if possible, and 1/1000 shutter speed and as high an aperture as I can get away with. I will alter those settings as needed. If gloom dictates shutter speed be too low or ISO too high I will shoot birds for practice but then ignore the shots as they don't make me smile.

And no Red Dot. I point where they are and take their picture.

Thanks for looking and commenting. And the good questions. I may have different answers as I get used to the camera. And when it gets warm enough I can take gloves off and be able to change settings on the fly.

Thanks also Jerry and Donna.
Thanks, Steve, for the reply. I clearly need lots more practice ... and perseverance.
WindRowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 2:44 AM   #8

spectacular:O
nazar is offline   Reply With Quote