Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 7, 2008, 1:27 PM   #1

Part 6

This is the sixth in a series of pictures from my recent photographic adventure to Thailand.

If you have missed any of the previous sets does a search for 'Thailand Part' Subject

Comments welcome. Enjoy!

Long-Tail Boat ~ Bangkok

Thailand is a tropical country so it is never cold during the day. However, at night in the winter, the temperature can drop to zero degrees at high elevations. But, even on the coldest of nights, by 10 a.m. the next day it will be at least 15C/59F by mid afternoon it will be warm enough to wear shorts and a T-shirt.

There are three seasons, the hot season, the rainy, and the cool. The hot season is from late February until July, the rainy season is from July until October, and the cool season is from November until mid-February.

You will notice in this portion of the gallery people are dressed in warmer clothing. Chiang Rai has the coolest weather in the country, as the city is located at over 350 m. elevation. Mornings are usually comfortably cool. When we visited the night bazaar, many of the locals bundled up in warm wool clothing giggled and pointed at me. I was dressed in short pants and a short sleeve shirt. Back home I put on a coat when the temperature drops below 22/71F. We used the city as a starting point to visit the some of the northern tribes.

Chiaig Rai Street.

After spending over two weeks in Thailand, I realized there are very few US made automobiles. Most medium and lower priced cars are Toyota, Subaru and VW. The luxury end of the car market is dominated by Mercedes Benz.

Chang Rai's favorite mode of transportation. There is one street where there are 10 motorbike stores in a row.

Chiang Rai School Girls on the way to High School. This small northern town has a brand new Chiang Rai University that it was done to commemorate the King's mother who lived the last part of her life in Chiang Rai.

Chiang Rai Monks

I tried to get them to relax but the language barrier was insurmountable. Notice the position of their right hands…. Must be a monk thing.

Chaing Rai Long-Tail Boat Hub on Mae Kok River

The boats get their name from what you see they are long shallow craft with truck or automobile engines mounted on the back. Because of the shallow water, a long shaft "Tail" protrudes from the engine with a propeller on the end. You can see part of the shaft on the boat in the foreground. They are stable in a straight-away capable of speeds in excess of 40/ 72 MHP/KPH. Going around any turn is another story.

You can take these boats from here to the town of Thatorn a three and half hour ride. There are many stops along the way some tribal villages and a place to ride elephants

--

One should see with their vision. http://lovelife.smugmug.com/

http://lovelife.smugmug.com/photos/10411426-Th.jpg

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2008, 9:47 PM   #2

Hi lovelife,

It is a really great series from you ..... My pick is 1st one and the moped ( the preferable mode of transport)......
Looking froward more of your work
Liu
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2008, 12:48 PM   #3

mcliu wrote:
Quote:
Hi lovelife,

It is a really great series from you ..... My pick is 1st one and the moped ( the preferable mode of transport)......
Looking froward more of your work
Liu
I am glad you liked the first shot it was resurrected from the dead pile because I thought it had merit.

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 8:50 PM   #4

Many times pasting skies (or HDR experiments) result in too strange looks in the pics.

I hate blown HL in the skies, but remedies in PP for this are often very hard, boring and time consuming...

Took this pics (and a different one exposing for the sky) with no tripod. The original exposed for the façade had clear tonearly white sky.
Sometimes it needs more than half an hour for only one pic, and the result can still be not convincing

Francesco
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote