Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 9, 2003, 3:51 PM   #1

Default Firmware for FZ1

Has anybody any idea if it would be possible to upgrade FZ1 to FZ2 by downloading firmware ,similar to minolta dimage 5 to 7??
fuddyduddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2003, 4:37 PM   #2

Apparently not, according to a Panasonic engineer :
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6014478

As discussed on this thread, a bug fixing firmware upgrade for FZ1 is however imminent.
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2003, 5:42 PM   #3

Thanks for reply Norm, but what bug is this firmware supposed to fix?
fuddyduddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2003, 10:02 AM   #4

So far as I know, it only addresses bug 1. as identified in this post.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=5285348
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2003, 10:21 AM   #5

Default Firmware

The firmware adds "illumination" to the thumbnail images when the other on screen graphics are turned off. The firmware will soon be available on our web site, and is compatible to the US version of the FZ1. Installation will take about 30 seconds and can be done by the end user. I'll post a link to it here as soon as its posted.

BK
Panasonic
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2003, 4:49 AM   #6

Panasonic
Why it can bee added to firmware: diafragm priority, fine WB tuning and other one which having FZ2? It requared just modification in menu, not any phisical modification.
andrewV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2003, 5:53 AM   #7

Hi people,

I'm the one who alerted Panasonic to the BUG in the first place. It turns out however that BUG number 2 (low light focusing in night mode) doesn't exist (Bob see my reply on dpreview). BUG 3.. changing the apperature restrictions in night portrait mode is not really a bug but a very good suggestion.

A global company like panasonic has a huge amount of red tape to wade through to get these changes made. Big companies move slowly. The issue of 'upgrading' the FZ1 with more manual controls has been thrashed about for some time at dpreview. It appears very unlikely to happen ....there may in fact be non-software issues preventing this upgrade to FZ2 status ... a modification to an internal circuit board was mentioned.

Looking forward to the firmware update though... I have recently moved to the UK but I bought the camera in Australia... I hope I can use it ?
dres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2003, 10:09 AM   #8

The issue of which models the firmware will work with is the factor that's delaying it. Officially, anything I can release is only intended for US models.

We are trying to get he other Panasonic companies to release it as well, but as was pointed out any change requires testing and recertification.

The version I have is for US FZ1's

As for adding features... it seldom occurs. Most of the time hardware changes are required. In addition, our engineers have tight schedules that don't allow much time for side projects.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote