Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 11, 2008, 5:07 PM   #1

If you have missed any of the posts do a search for:

Thailand Part

Comments are welcome.

This is not an actual village. I call it a VV, vender village, it was set up with the help of the Thai government so that some of the tribes could show off there costumes and sell craft items to the tourists.

What you cannot see in these two images is the limited amount of real estate. The huts on the right, left on the image above, are perched on the side of a mountain with nothing but a deep chasm below.

The Paduangs

The Paduang are a sub-group of the Shan, who are not entirely considered minorities as they have always occupied the areas of Northwest Thailand and the Shan states of Myanmar. The Shan speak a dialect similar to Thai and are even known as Thai Yai, having been assimilated into Thai culture.

There are pockets of Paduang around Mae Hong Son. The Paduang attract many curious visitors because of their long-necked women. A tradition of beautifying women by adding brass rings to their necks has been preserved largely for generating tourism. Although the neck appears cruelly elongated, it is the collarbone, which has been displaced rather than the stretching and weakening of the neck. Similar rings are also worn on the legs.

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2008, 7:07 PM   #2

an absolutely fabulous series of pix because of the story it tells........since many cannot afford or have to decide where they will vacation...this is a great way to share the places you visit.....the portraitures were very well done
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 9:19 AM   #3

deterpawson wrote:
Quote:
an absolutely fabulous series of pix because of the story it tells........since many cannot afford or have to decide where they will vacation...this is a great way to share the places you visit.....the portraitures were very well done
I am very pleased that you like my series. I had carefully planned this trip because I was on a budget. This was a dream of mine and it was not that expensive, the cost for 16 days 3 major cities, 6 airline flights, two days sailing on a chartered 44 ketch($250), all meals entertainment and lodging $2800.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote