Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 17, 2008, 8:22 AM   #1

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum but wanted to join in as I got a shiney new FZ50 for Christmas.

I have a question for you all about lens cleaning, I caught my wife cleaning a finger print off the lens of the camera the other day with the cleaning cloth that came with her sunglasses!.
I quickly stopped her, but do you think it will have damaged the lens ?

Obviously I am going to quickly buy a UV filter to prevent this happening again but out of interest, what do you guys recommend using to clean a lens if you have to ?.

cheers

Burt
Burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2008, 11:37 AM   #2

Quote:
have a question for you all about lens cleaning, I caught my wife cleaning a finger print off the lens of the camera the other day with the cleaning cloth that came with her sunglasses!.

I wouldn't think it would do any harm :-)

You can buy lense cleaner (isopropyl alcohol) at your camera shop,

along with lense wipes or cloths or use soft toilet paper or soft clean

cloth, clean the lense by applying a few drops of lense cleaner and wipe

off again polishing the surface with a circular motion. Lense cleaner helps

remove grease and dirt. Out of doors and if you think it needs a quick wipe,

the end of a silk tie or camera cloth comes in handy or a clean paper

handkerchief...................:-)..................musket.

Ps Dont use sensor cleaner on lenses or lense cleaner on sensors

musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 2:58 PM   #3

musket wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
have a question for you all about lens cleaning, I caught my wife cleaning a finger print off the lens of the camera the other day with the cleaning cloth that came with her sunglasses!.

I wouldn't think it would do any harm :-)

You can buy lense cleaner (isopropyl alcohol) at your camera shop,

along with lense wipes or cloths or use soft toilet paper or soft clean

cloth, clean the lense by applying a few drops of lense cleaner and wipe

off again polishing the surface with a circular motion. Lense cleaner helps

remove grease and dirt. Out of doors and if you think it needs a quick wipe,

the end of a silk tie or camera cloth comes in handy or a clean paper

handkerchief...................:-)..................musket.

Ps Dont use sensor cleaner on lenses or lense cleaner on sensors
Nothing-wrong using special eyeglass cloth on camera lens and nothing wrong with using camera lens cloth on eyeglasses.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 7:12 AM   #4

I do not believe in lens cleaning solutions........use your breath and a microfiber cloth........the cloth that came with your wifes glasses most likely is fine......but keep the cloth clean.

I do believe in microfiber cloths kept in a case or plastic bag to keep themclean. I keep a couple in the camera bag.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 7:29 AM   #5

I agree.

I use a little dust blower (pumplet with brush and a fingers press.blower) to remove dust, hairs, or other particles which might produce scratches under the pressure of microfiber-wadding action. (But it is not easy to scratch lenses this way).

I never use sunglasses cloth for a simple reason: it can't be clean.
Traces of grease from fingers always remain in previous uses, so it will never completely clean the lens.
When you use things like dust blower brush or microfiber or wadder, you have to be sure that it's clean or you'll get things worse.

In the case of the small dust blower with brush, I keep it closed within two transparent small envelopes, and the inner one which is in contact with brushes is always the same and that part never comes into contact with the other side of the blower, the pressure ball which is always dirty of fingers grease.

It might sound manic-like, but is important, especially if you use blower brushon the CCD of dSLR.

Anyway note that one needs not to be too obsessed by lens cleaning, or you risk to make more damages than else.
Dust on the top of the lens only rarely can be detected in pics (only when particles are big) and never when dust is within (and I have some in the inner lenses of My 3 yo FZ20).

On the other hand fingerprints are bad and have to be cleanded someway in place if they occur (then you ll be more careful in the lens cleaning at home) and the same goes for raindrops and similar.

As Genece, I use breath and I pass wadder on a stick or ear-stick as the condensing by breath fades or soon after it has gone.

http://www.francescoraffaele.com

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 9:36 AM   #6

I too just recommend using your breath and a lens or glass cleaning cloth. I would also advise dedicating a cleaning cloth (or two) for just the lens, as it's very easy to transfer some bad things from your LCD, camera body, glasses, binoculars, car mirrors, etc., if you're using your cleaning cloth for multiple purposes.

Other than the general hazards of introducing something liquid to your camera lens, another reason I don't use a lens cleaning solution is that you'll probably want to carry it in your bag.....what happens when it leaks?

If you really feel the need to use a cleaning solution, then I would get a lens pen, individually packaged moist wipes, or single use moistened swabs.

-- Chris
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote