Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 19, 2008, 10:31 AM   #1

Myanmar Barge on the Mae Khong River The FZ10 never ceases to amaze me this is full zoom at dusk.

Tourist spot at the ancient city of Chiang Saen it is getting dark not

much time to look around. I grabbed a couple of shots before the 2-

hour drive back to Chaing Rai. I looked the town up after getting back

to the hotel; it is an old city with interesting ruins. I will have to get

back there on my next trip to Thailand.

Chiang Saen Leaded Glass Sculpture

Chiang Saen Buddha [book information]

The Chiang Saen or Lanna style (between 11th and 18th centuries A.D.)

was influenced by the styles of the Khmer, Sukhothai, India, Burma and

Sri Lanka.
Buddha images typically feature a lotus bud or orb shaped finial and large

hair curls. The torso is plump, with a slim waistline. The face is round and

smiling, with high curving highbrows, a hooked nose and mostly narrow

lips. See the long ears like the Black KarenTribe.

Chiang Saen Buddha close-up

Net Fishing in Mae Khong River

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2008, 9:29 PM   #2

I have followed your posting of pix and comments and enjoyed them very much. I am going to Thailand in March and hope to see many of the sights you have viewed.

My question is - did you ask permission of those individuals you took pix of, and did you have to pay them (how much)

Thanks again for your wonderful postings.

Moti B.
motib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2008, 2:11 AM   #3

motib wrote:
Quote:
I have followed your posting of pix and comments and enjoyed them very much. I am going to Thailand in March and hope to see many of the sights you have viewed.

My question is - did you ask permission of those individuals you took pix of, and did you have to pay them (how much)

Thanks again for your wonderful postings.

Moti B.
Thank you for looking and commenting.

Sometimes I asked permission I prefer to sneak with the zoom lens. I did not pay anyone for pictures. Yes asking people to take the pictures usually produces very stiff results. I use two techniques for people shots.

1-Use the zoom and sneak shots when they are not looking. This requires some preparation I put my camera in aperture priority mode, prepare everything for the shot by setting the F-stop to around F5, then focusing, and on some other subject that is approximately the same distance. Since the camera does not have to focus, manual focus, I direct the camera back to the real subject and take the shot quickly.

2-When I have gotten their permission, I use two approaches. A- I ask them to forget that I am there and not to look at me. B- After I have everything ready, I fake the shot, by making a clicking sound and raise my head above the camera keeping it in the same position. Then a half second later, I take the shot. That slight difference in time gets me a more relaxed subject.

In both one and two examples above, I give the subject a lot of personnel space between them and the camera using the zoom to grab portraits.

[align=center]I prefer #1.[/align]

Tip: If you want to save money leave you credit and bank card in your pocket. Pay everything with the local currency Baht. Have at least 500 Baht upon arrival or buy at airport. Buy baht from many kiosks all over Bangkok not from banks hotels or airport. Don't eat in the hotels part of the adventure is trying different places for lunch and dinner.

Watch out for these two scams. Taxi from airport to City 350Baht including tolls go to taxi stand and get on line. If you pay anymore, you have been had. Some people get caught for 900 to 1200 baht for the same ride. Watch outfor people who tell you the Grand Wat is closed for some special reason. It opens every day at 08.30. These people are so brazen they get in your face at the entrance and try to direct you to a tuk tuk to take you shopping for a few hours. The guards do nothing.

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2008, 9:39 AM   #4

Thanks for your expanded reply (the travel tips). Although we have garnered much info for our trip, I am sure my wife and I will benefit greatly from your suggestions. When I get back hopefully, I can post some pix as well.

Another question - I see your postings on this website & the DP site. Do you prefer one over the other, or you just have lots of time on your hands :lol:

P.S. Have viewed your smugmug site - great offerings.
motib is offline   Reply With Quote