Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 30, 2008, 1:37 PM   #1

The new Pany TZ5 looks like a real option for those of us who like to do everything with one small shirt pocket camera. Among other things, there's 10X zoom, zoom during video and a 3" LCD with 460K pixels.

I've tried several small cameras, including the Sanyo C5, Sanyo CG65 and briefly the Sanyo HD 700. I keep falling back on a Canon A710 for the video quality, the ease of use with the optical viewfinder and the still image quality. I've enjoyed the Sanyo CG65 for every use except outdoors in sunshine, where I find the LCD difficult to use. I'm hopeful that the Pany TZ5's large high res screen will work for me.

If any of you have positive or negative comments on the TZ3, especially the video quality, I'd sure like to hear from you.
[img]images/spacer.gif[/img]
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2008, 6:56 PM   #2

Since the camera has a 720 30p shooting mode, you should expect the picture quality to be astonishing especially for a still camera and I believe it has potential to match the quality of the Aiptek A-HD. Panasonic does make HD camcorders. I've read reviews that the only problem people had with previous Panasonic cameras in video mode is that you couldn't use the zoom but as you know, you can with this one.

I also think it's a perfect camera for someone who never used one before because of its "Advanced Intelligent Auto mode". This should allow beginners to take professional looking photos.

I have never owned the previous TZ3 but with all the positive reviews that it received and the fact that the TZ5 has some impressive new features, I think this camera will get a lot of praise when it's released.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 1:32 PM   #3

The TZ5 will offer superior video to the TZ3, if only because you can zoom during recording with the TZ5...something you cannot do with the TZ3.

That being said, I've owned a TZ3 for several months now and shot many still images, but not one second's worth of videos. I've been very pleased with theimage quality from my TZ3. Here are somefiles I've uploaded to my website..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...qatr#252727957
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2008, 7:01 PM   #4

Here is a hands-on article from a preproduction unit:

http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/5109/hands-on-panasonic-lumix-dmc-tz5.html
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2008, 1:38 PM   #5

does the TZ5 have a video recording limit of 2gb like the TZ3?
mdashoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2008, 5:57 PM   #6

I believe it will handle a 4G card. The Panny site has the 4G SD card as an option for the camera.
nmoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2008, 11:02 AM   #7

nmoulin wrote:
Quote:
I believe it will handle a 4G card. The Panny site has the 4G SD card as an option for the camera.
Please be very careful about the difference between an SD card and an SDHC card.

While there are versions of SD above 2GB, there are no standards and none (to my knowledge) will work in a Panasonic Camera. Only SDHD cards above 2GB will work in the later model Panasonics.

Dick
http://rschofield.smugmug.com/

rschofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2008, 4:48 PM   #8

ok, thanks. I have the TZ3 right now and have two 4gb SDHC cards
Old Mar 3, 2008, 4:50 PM   #9

rschofield wrote:
Quote:
nmoulin wrote:
Quote:
Please be very careful about the difference between an SD card and an SDHC card.

While there are versions of SD above 2GB, there are no standards and none (to my knowledge) will work in a Panasonic Camera. Only SDHD cards above 2GB will work in the later model Panasonics.

Dick
http://rschofield.smugmug.com/
you are correct, If you go 4gb and above you need the SDHC type cards
Old Mar 11, 2008, 7:32 AM   #10

http://live-tv-channels.com/ good search engine for documentaires, tv shows, movies and live tv, movie upload without register, very easy to handle.
dianadsc is offline   Reply With Quote