Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 2, 2008, 2:03 AM   #1

Some shots I took today with my TZ3...what I did as I took them and, in some cases, what I did afterwards in Photoshop. The more I use this little camera, the more I realize what is possible usingthecontrolsPanasonic chose to give with this little gem.

Trying to extend dynamic range as much as possible. In this image, I shot it while observing the live histogram and making adjustments with the exposure compensation to keep as much as possible within the visible range. In Photoshop I duplicated the layer, making layer adjustments to cover the shadows in one layer and the highlights in the other, then combined them with a layer mask, flattened the image and saved...

This next image was shot in the extended optical zoom range at 339mm. The light standard is actually 8-9 city blocks in front of the building, which is around 60 stories tall...

In this last image, there was a huge glare off the skyscraper, so I switched spot metering and moved thearea of viewcovered by the spot meteraround the glare until the light levels looked "right", pressed the release half-way down to lock the exposure and focus, recomposed and shot...

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2008, 8:31 AM   #2

You certainly make a case your PS skills.....and I agree we should all try to preserve the highlights as much as possible .......makes a more pleasant photo, with more editting possiblities.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2008, 2:35 PM   #3

Good work, but how it that better than using the shadow/highlights tool?
Gene T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2008, 6:44 PM   #4

Gene T wrote:
Quote:
Good work, but how it that better than using the shadow/highlights tool?
Maybe not much, and it's definitely easier. The difference doing it with Layers is, you can determine what partof the highlights you are going to adjust, what part of the shadows youwant toadjust, or what you want to just leave alone.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote