Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 2, 2008, 9:39 PM   #1

Does anyone use a Manfrotto 785B tripod with there FZ50? I'm looking for a sturdy yet lightweight tripod of the 785B's dimensions and weight but want to be sure it will hold the FZ50 safely by itself, with flash, or with Tcon1.7 mounted.
Camp I am is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2008, 8:35 AM   #2

If its a combo like this you are looking at, it will safely hold a camera like the FZ50.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...xi_Tripod.html

And for a compact lightweigt and inexpensive tripod it fits that bill, but I would look for something sturdier......

IMHO, A tripod with no vibration and a smooth head with no creep is important for a camera with a long reach......but that increases the weight and price considerably

One other point I do not think that head can be replaced with a better head, but I am not sure of that. And I would think its the head that is the causing the weight limit.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2008, 9:02 AM   #3

Yes that's the one, thanks for the link. I don't think the head can be replaced? I searched this forum and found 2 people using this tripod with FZ20'swhich weigh in at around 1.2 lbs. The FZ50 is 1.6 and may be heavier in the glass just by looking at the two. I havnt thought about the head creeping from the cameras weight but it is rated for only 2.2 lbs.

If anyone is using this combo I'd love to hear from you. :-)
Old Feb 3, 2008, 12:32 PM   #4

You can usually lock a head down enough to stop the creep after the position, its when you are trying to position the camera and you think you have it right and let go of the camera and the lens drops about an 1/8 of an inch, is the frustrating part.

I do not want to replace my 3021pro but I have been looking for something small and light, to fit in a carry-on.......those legs look good to me......now to find them or something very similarwithout the head, and add a decent head.....

I wish I could see this tripod at a store may well be what I am looking for

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ipod_Legs.html

Old Feb 3, 2008, 12:46 PM   #5

That Slik looks nice.I know what you mean I to wish I could see these in the store. Local camera shops dont have them though.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 5:20 PM   #6

Camp I am,

I have the FZ20/Manfroto 785B combination and could not be more pleased.

I quite often add an Olympus TCON-14B which weighs a ton and that combination is slightly too front-heavy for the ball head. But when I'm using that combination it is while birding and I need to keep my hand on the camera anyway to pan for the birds. There is no problem without the TCON and I would not expect any problem with the FZ50 either.

The combination of small collapsed size, extreme light weight, and quick release plate are wonderful.

My only issue with this tripod was the height. I am 6' and found it to be a little too short for me when taking portrait oriented shots. I ordered an extra center column piece from Bogen USA in New Jersey and that made a huge difference for me. (See http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...746675#p746675 for my solution.)

--
Dick
http://rschofield.smugmug.com/

rschofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2008, 5:44 PM   #7

rschofield, thanks for your response. I'm 6' 2" and the height may be an issue but I can crouch a little for the trade off of portability and functionality. The mod looks like a good one. That would solve height if an issue. Do you find it to be a sturdy tripod? Is build quality good? You also noted that with the TCON it's to front heavy for the ball head? Do you mean it creeps with that combonation?

genece: You may be interested in this one. http://photo.net/equipment/velbon/343e/

Any additional input would be apprecaiated. Thanks
Old Feb 3, 2008, 8:45 PM   #8

Can that head be removed?

rschofield wrote:
Quote:
Camp I am,

I have the FZ20/Manfroto 785B combination and could not be more pleased.

I quite often add an Olympus TCON-14B which weighs a ton and that combination is slightly too front-heavy for the ball head. But when I'm using that combination it is while birding and I need to keep my hand on the camera anyway to pan for the birds. There is no problem without the TCON and I would not expect any problem with the FZ50 either.

The combination of small collapsed size, extreme light weight, and quick release plate are wonderful.

My only issue with this tripod was the height. I am 6' and found it to be a little too short for me when taking portrait oriented shots. I ordered an extra center column piece from Bogen USA in New Jersey and that made a huge difference for me. (See http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...746675#p746675 for my solution.)

--
Dick
Old Feb 3, 2008, 9:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Can that head be removed?

Not sure as I can't see one upclose.You would think it could... Sawzall? :idea:

Old Feb 4, 2008, 9:20 AM   #10

Camp I am wrote:
Quote:
rschofield, thanks for your response. I'm 6' 2" and the height may be an issue but I can crouch a little for the trade off of portability and functionality. The mod looks like a good one. That would solve height if an issue. Do you find it to be a sturdy tripod? Is build quality good? You also noted that with the TCON it's to front heavy for the ball head? Do you mean it creeps with that combonation?
Camp I am,

I found that the extra 7" extended height helped yet did not significantly effect the fully-collapsed size (only an additional 4").

I do not have a lot of experience with other tripods other than the bulky, heavy, awkward one that I had before the Manfrotto. (I think it was a Vivitar brand.) It was a chore to carry this around while birding and I gave up doing so. Now I use it only to mount a telescope.

The 785B is very lightweight so could probably be affected by a strong wind. Otherwise it is very sturdy. The build quality is excellent (as I would expect from Manfrotto).

The Olympus TCON-14B weighs a ton (475g) -- almost as much as the FZ20. So hanging this much weight off the front of the camera is not something that this lightweight tripod ball head was designed for and it will creep downwards if not supported by your hand. I can live with this because, as I said, my application is birding and I have to be moving the camera quite a lot anyway. If I wanted to take landscapes, I wouldn't have the TCON attached and the ball head could easily handle that situation without any creep.

Most people who use teleconverters on their FZ50s use the TCON-17 which weighs significantly less (260g) and I doubt would be a problem for the ball head.

--
Dick

[Edited to correct the additional length when adding an extra center column shaft.]

rschofield is offline   Reply With Quote