Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 5, 2008, 1:50 AM   #1

Found this link in a flickr group discussion. Made one. Works pretty good. Need to remake as my string stretched a bit when soaked. (although I really should stop taking pictures in the rain instead.)

Stabilizer Video
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2008, 11:53 AM   #2

Very innovative indeed, though it means straining your hands with a slight upward push to keep the string stretched. Let me also try. Thanks for the post, Steve.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2008, 8:30 PM   #3

Hi! Steve, Made me one. Had all the ingredients needed just lying around. Haven't really had much time to try it out, but so far it is better than no tripod.

Thanks for the post. Will give it more workout at first opportunity.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2008, 9:33 PM   #4

thanks dude
gotta try it
the things people think of huh
sounds so bloody simple
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:30 PM   #5

deterpawson wrote:
Quote:
thanks dude
gotta try it
sounds so bloody simple
Got that right. One of those things that either one of us should have invented. Then patented and gotten bloody rich. Oh well; maybe next time.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 4:26 PM   #6

made one out of materiak found at home, including a short bolt which was difficult to tie. It certainly helps with maximun zoom shots on far away snall objects. thanks for the great idea, reminded me of MacGyver on the t.v. series:-)
doto41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 6:28 PM   #7

happy_peasant wrote:
Quote:
deterpawson wrote:
Quote:
thanks dude
gotta try it
sounds so bloody simple
Got that right. One of those things that either one of us should have invented. Then patented and gotten bloody rich. Oh well; maybe next time.
Actually this was and may still be commercially available. It had a 1/4" bolt with a curdled knob to thread into the tripod socket. This had a ring where a thin strap attached which had a loop (stirrup) to put over your foot. The strap size was adjustable. I can't remember who made it.

tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 6:44 PM   #8

Here is a good idea if you have trouble holding the camera still with a long lens.
Get one of those cheap little tripods that only go to about a foot tall with the legs extended. Attach it to your camera and leave the ball head loose. Extend one leg all the way and the other two only part way. Now hold the short legs against your shoulders with the long leg on your chest. You'll be surprised how much this helps.
I got one of these tripods as a gift, the ball head is usless, as everything I owen is too heavy for it. But for this it works great.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 6:56 PM   #9

If you combine this with a very very short neck strap you have both horizontal and vertical stabilization solved.
BEECEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 7:18 PM   #10

I see this is an invention with a lot of room for adaptation. I like that little tripod idea. Maybe we can tie a string to that too. :-)

I have not used my tripod quite like that, but I do have a small sturdy one and a few times when frozen I have used the tripod with legs together as a handle as I don't shiver/tremble as much holding something large as I do with a camera up to my face.