Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 10, 2008, 8:40 AM   #11

Photo #3 is really tough for any camera ,especially small sensor cameras....the under exposure on the left wall is a recipe for noise.

jussiuk wrote:
Quote:
Thanks all. Perhaps i am reading too much into this...

Pic no.3 though does look bad to my eyes on the left wall...

I went t China town today on my lunch break and took some pics of chinese lanterns (iT is Chinese new Year) and they look better than the last effort.

I will post once I make them smaller for web.

I haven't had much time to play wiht the camera yet ...

Best,

Jussi.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 10:57 PM   #12

I also can see hardly any noise in the downsized pictures. That may change, if you present full size pics. When you compare the FZ5 with the FZ18 you should downsize the FZ18 pics to the resolution of the FZ5. Then the FZ18 should be ahead at least slightly. The FZ5 was already quite a good camera and there isn't much room for improvement if you stick to a small 1/2.5" sensor. 5 MP was just right for this sensor size and 8 MP is definitely to much.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2008, 6:04 AM   #13

Day before yesterday I attened a meeting I needed to photograph which was held in a room with not much light and could not use flash so as nt to disturb the meeting ...thephotos were terrible.Noise is a huge problem no matter how people here seem to explain it. I feel I wasted my money as my old FZ5 took much less noisy pictures. A it is I can not use any of the photos I took as they are really so bad.

I can not understand how Pana allowed such a camera on the market. I have been a fan all these years and now feel totally ripped off as it is only any good in ideal conditions i.e. outside in good light. I think my love affair with Pana is over...

to illustrate on small crop from 100% where I used a flash and even that is noisy! Too noisy to print as shows in prints too!

(I chose a bit where you can not see a face as no permission from the peopel to put on the net).

Attached Images

jussiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2008, 7:56 AM   #14

Now there is something definitely wrong with this photo.......For one thing the exif says, and I am not sure I am reading it correctly but it says 1/30 sec at ISO100.....if true you are forcing the camera to do something it will not do....my guess is the photo was badly underexposed and you tried adding light.

To experiment at home, set the lighting similar to what you had at the meeting....now set the camera to a more auto mode.....and auto ISO....take a few photos......perhaps set the camera to one of the intelligent modes and take a few more photos.......the place to practice is at home Do not underexpose the photos....that is a recipe for noise.

And to try and force the camera to do something is not always the correct approach.....I have been pleasantly surprised with some very high ISO photos I have taken with the FZ18....much better than the FZ20 ...FZ5 generation cameras......forget how those cameras worked and learn how the FZ18 works, you may be pleasantly surprised.

I have ISO 800 photos of my great grandson that are very nice ....I also have similar photos taken with my D50......now the difference is great but that is what I would expect........But the FZ18 photos are more than usable.....pretty darn good, IMHO.......As you can see I know what a good photo should look like and while I understand the limits of the small sensor,I still say the FZ18 takes nice photos.

Now I actually dislike the FZ18....too small and the joystick sucks as does the extending lens and NR......but it takes nice photos.

[b]attened a meeting I needed to photograph which was held in a room with not much light and could not use flash so as nt to disturb the meeting ...thephotos were terrible.Noise is a huge problem no matter how people here seem to explain it. I feel I wasted my money as my old FZ5 took much less noisy pictures. A it is I can not use any of the photos I took as they are really so bad.

I can not understand how Pana allowed such a camera on the market. I have been a fan all these years and now feel totally ripped off as it is only any good in ideal conditions i.e. outside in good light. I think my love affair with Pana is over...

to illustrate on small crop from 100% where I used a flash and even that is noisy! Too noisy to print as shows in prints too!

(I chose a bit where you can not see a face as no permission from the peopel to put on the net).

[/quote]
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2008, 10:09 PM   #15

Unedited photos.

ISO 400, 1/50th second, Aperture f/3.6. Camera set to that Intelligent setting on dial and it picked portrait mode. This was a rather long zoom (404mm equiv.), and the only light was after 4 PM light coming in a window. She was not that close to it either.

ISO 800, 1/20th second, Aperture f/4. zoom equivalent 356 so fairly long also. A bit blurry because of long zoom, slow shutter and subject talking during lecture, but more then acceptable in my opinion even before editing. Lighting was rather dim as pictures were being projected on to a screen and he was off to the side of it.

You have already been told by Gene to forget how the other cameras work and learn this one. to that I can only add: forget about all those reviews and opinions that say you need to keep it at ISO 100.
Steve

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote