Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 12, 2008, 11:46 PM   #1

I've been shooting in TIFF format while on vacation and the pictures are wacky. The TIFF version moves about 20 percent of the right side of the picture to the left side. The colors are totally washed out...similar to a sepia perspective. What is really odd is that the JPG version of the picture looks just fine. I'm wondering if I have things set up wrong.....don't think I do. Also is there a complete reset function on the camera that wipes everything out and brings it back to OEM? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
nmoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2008, 12:06 AM   #2

Might perhaps be a flash card problem.

I've not found the TIFF setting to be worthwhile in any case — I'm quite happy with the top .JPG quality, which writes faster.

There is a reset function in one of the menus — resets everything bar the folder number and clock setting to factory default.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 12:17 AM   #3

I had thought of the SD card also so I reformatted two different models and both still have the same problem with the TIFF. Concur with you thoughts on JPG as that is what I usually use. I have done some reading on this forum that said the TIFF is much more tweakable with a good photo editor. I thought I'd try to shoot both Panasonic allows it andSD storage is rather cheap these days.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 6:22 AM   #4

nmoulin,

There is a documented problem using TIFF on 2GB memory cards and, if my memory serves me correctly, also with slow SD cards of any size. See the following thread for a recent discussion:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=26244741

I, personally, don't ever use TIFF. The image quality is no better than JPG and it takes up way too much space.

--
Dick
http://rschofield.smugmug.com/

[Edit: Where's my spell checker when I need it?]
rschofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 11:52 AM   #5

Yes, I recall all the discussions on cards & TIFF issues with the FZ20. In fact, I also recall a thread on another forum where it was more or less pointed out that the TIFF is created from the camera's JPEG, certainly the claim was made. I think it came down to JPEG artifacts being found in the TIFF image.

NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 12:16 PM   #6

rschofield,

That was a nice find. My TIFFs look just like the ones on the link you provided and I am using 2G cards. Thanks for all the help. Looks like I'll be shooting hires jpgs from now on. Thanks again!
Old Feb 13, 2008, 4:34 PM   #7

NewsyL wrote:
Quote:
In fact, I also recall a thread on another forum where it was more or less pointed out that the TIFF is created from the camera's JPEG, certainly the claim was made. I think it came down to JPEG artifacts being found in the TIFF image.
I don't remember reading that thread but I seriously question that the TIFF is created from the JPG. Why would Panasonic design the software to take an uncompressed image, compress it (with some loss in image quality[sup]1[/sup]) into JPG format, and then uncompress it back into TIFF format? I'm not questioning you -- just the original poster.

[1 - I am not complaining about JPG being lossy. I'm just pointing out the fact that it is.]

--
Dick
http://rschofield.smugmug.com/

rschofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 9:47 PM   #8

You wouldn't think that Panasonic would generate TIFF from JPG. Doesn't make since to me either. Does anyone know right off had if the new TZ5 supports TIFF?
Old Feb 14, 2008, 1:08 AM   #9

You wouldn't think so would you? I'm probably not recalling it 100% as it was something from 3 years ago. Perhaps the issue was to do with more noise being evident in the TIFF than the JPEG. But I do recall that claim being made of the TIFF being extracted from the JPEG, actually more precisely, the image being processed, some of the data stream being compressed as per a JPEG but then saved as a TIFF.

However... a somewhat similar issue came out about the video mode on either the FZ30 or FZ50. Again, as an owner of the FZ20 I read it but did not pay much attention but it may have had something to do with the 640x480 resolution being interpolated up from the 320x240 mode. Can't recall that it was ever resolved.

Forum chatter... :?
NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2008, 6:49 AM   #10

There is no advantage to shooting TIFF......there may be an advantage once the photo is on the computer......but the advantage is so small its not worth the space, IMHO.......most camera mfgs have given up on tiff
genece is offline   Reply With Quote