Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 25, 2008, 8:34 PM   #1

I've decided to purchase the Panasonic DMC FZ18 after reading Steve's review and seeing the side by side comparison to other 18x zoom cameras at popphoto.com. That was almost the easy part! Now my decision lies in where to buy the camera from. I'm trying to spend the least amount possible without getting scammed but with so many reviews out there both good and bad, I'm finding it difficult to trust any retailer now.
Are the retailers listed at the bottom of the reviews great to do business with? Anyone ordered from them? (Abes of Maine and Vann's are the cheapest listed)

Any help is appreciated!

Kimmy
jakesangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2008, 5:59 PM   #2

I have been buying from Abe's of Maine for years and have never had a problem. In fact I just bought a GPS system from them that is being delivered today. They had the best price of anyone for the model I wanted. You might also want to check out Bhphotovideo.com. I bought my FZ20 from them and I find they have the best prices on cameras and are great to deal with. Hope this helps. Enjoy your new camera.

Jer99

Jer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2008, 11:05 AM   #3

I am looking at the same camera. Right now Costco has it for $350 ($30 off until this coming Monday 3/3). Even though that is higher than some other places, Costco has a 90 day satisifaction guarantee. Return it - no questions asked. I am really trying to make the decision on whether to go ahead and buy it. Have a Kodak Z7590 which works well, but like the Image Stabilization, wide lens range and RAW mode capabilities of the DMC-FZ18. Anybody with the FZ18 use a telecon lens with it? I have the Olympus T-Con 17 that I use with the Kodak.

Steve W.
on30trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2008, 3:26 PM   #4

Thank you both for your replies. I decided to go ahead and go with Abe's and recieved a phone call this evening to verify the shipping address. They tried to sell me the SD card and a better battery and a telephoto lens but I told them I was fine. lol They said they'd have the camera shipped out today and didn't push too hard so I'm very pleased with that.

BH had the camera at a pretty reasonable price too but they were out of stock on the black one.
It should arrive next week and in plenty of time for our Spring Break. (I work with the school system so to me Spring Break is like a mini vacation lol)

~Kimmy~
Old Feb 27, 2008, 5:42 PM   #5

Your welcome Kimmy, I know what you mean about getting on the phone with Abe's. LOL! They'll try to sell you the whole store. You won't be dissapointed and they do ship pretty fast. I ordered my GPS last Friday and received it Tuesday morn. From Jersey to Tennessee that's not bad.

I've been looking for a small pocket size camera with a decent zoom and I've had my eye on that new LZ5. It has a 10X zoom and the ability to zoom in movie mode. It just came out soI'm going to shop around for a while for prices. Well good luck with the FZ18 and don't forget to post some pics for us.

Jer

Old Feb 27, 2008, 6:09 PM   #6

I'll most defintely be back with photos! I'll have a lot to learn I think but it will be fun in the process and this will be a nice upgrade from my Olympus 720SW.

Jer is this the camera you are looking at?
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/lz5.html

Old Feb 27, 2008, 11:37 PM   #7

No, the one I am looking at is the TZ5. It's a 9.1 megapixel with a 10X zoom and a nice big 3" screen. I haven't seen any reviews on it yet. If anyone knows of any I would appreciate the input. Here's a link for the TZ5.

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...00000000005702
Old Feb 28, 2008, 8:14 PM   #8

Hey that's a nice little camera! I never would have thought it was a 10x. I can't find any reviews on it either.
Keep an eye on popphoto.com. They're pretty good about putting up reviews. They do have it listed in the "new cameras for 2008" article.

http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/5096...-for-2008.html

(its image #14 out of the 64 when you launch the slideshow)