Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 28, 2008, 10:57 PM   #1

Im new here to the forum and this is my first topic. I just got my first camera (Lumix TZ3), I've been reading through the manual trying to figure out the best settings for myself. I'll be using the cam for general pics, partys, sporting events, aircraft landing and taking off from the airport. I'll be using it mostly at daylight time. Right now I have it set as follows (some of the settings I dont understand so I left them at default) If you can help with any settings that I might have wrong I would appreciate it.

Stabilizer- mode 1

W. Balance- AWB

ISO- 100

Aspect ratio- 4:3

Pict Size- 7m

Burst- off

C.af CONT .AF- off

AF Assist Lamp- off

Slow Shutter- 1/8

D .Zoom- off

COL .Mode- Standard
mdashoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 29, 2008, 12:30 AM   #2

I guess the main thing Im trying to figure out is, byhaving the ISO set to 100 should I leave the slow shutter speed at 1/8? the other options are 1/4, 1/2 and 1.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 5:33 PM   #3

wow, not even a welcome to the forum! am I asking stupid questions? I have read a lot and figured out some, what I cant figure out on this cam is the shutter speed thing, I see example pics shot with this cam and the setting specs say something like

ISO-100

shutter speed-1/250 sec

arperture- F3.3

Exp comp- +0.0EV

I know about the ISO, but I dont understand how they get 1/250 shutter speed when the only thing I can find to adjust that is in increments of 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, and 1. and how do you know the arperture is F3.3?
Old Mar 22, 2008, 2:50 PM   #4

Welcom to the forum.
NeoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2008, 3:13 PM   #5

Set iso to auto. Shutter and focus too.

You also might get more options (like extended zoom) if you don't need the higest megapixel setting, depending on the camera.

I have a new FZ-18 and love it.

If you get too much "noise" (enlarged) on low light, post processing is your friend. Maybe, you could cap out your iso with a "iso max 800" or so, if you have that option. But you better then brace the camera against something (if no tripod), for non-blurry shots (low light no flash).

Natural light rules. Keep in mind though, the auto white balance may not work as well, so if you can meter it on a white envelope for a custom white balance setting, then your natural light pics will look much better. Auto white balance works better with the flash.

Try a fill flash with a white index (like) card; bounching the flash off a low, white ceiling with also decent 45 degree angle, natural lighting.

Raw mode is supposed to give better options after the fact; for white balance and such. It's more time and resource consuming. I'm surprised how much a jpeg can be improved, post processing. Wacth your angles of light and use bounced light.

I use the free "Digicam" program with Kubuntu BTW. The restoration features are awesome and that's not even stepping up to "The Gimp" program. I have the raw editor that came with the cam, for Windows too.

http://www.kubuntu.com and add it, after Windows. You don't want to miss it.

You might tweak the exposed brightness for your particular shoot. Take a few at deferent exposers (Bracketing).

I'm not a pro but I'm playing one on this post.

NeoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2008, 6:36 PM   #6

mdashoot wrote:
Quote:
Im new here to the forum and this is my first topic. I just got my first camera (Lumix TZ3), I've been reading through the manual trying to figure out the best settings for myself. I'll be using the cam for general pics, partys, sporting events, aircraft landing and taking off from the airport. I'll be using it mostly at daylight time. Right now I have it set as follows (some of the settings I dont understand so I left them at default) If you can help with any settings that I might have wrong I would appreciate it.

Stabilizer- mode 1

I use mode 2, which appears to give steadier shots in my experience. Mode 1 keeps the camera steadier when you compose the image, but I prefer to have the maximum effect when I actually shoot.

W. Balance- AWB

That's what I use. Panasonic cameras tend to do white balance extremely well in auto.

ISO- 100

I like to keep mine on AUTO ISO, which won't pick anything faster than ISO 200, but it will also pick intermediate speeds you cannot manually choose, so if ISO 100 isn't fast enough, the camera might choose ISO 125 or ISO 160.

Aspect ratio- 4:3

Most of my images are shot at 4:3, but I also use 16:9 quite a bit. It can be a fun format. Give it a try sometime.

Pict Size- 7m

The only time I don't use 7MP is if I am using the extended optical zoom, which requires going down to 5MP or 3MP, but can also give you an optical zoom maximum setting of 420mm.

Burst- off

Me too

C.af CONT .AF- off

Me too

AF Assist Lamp- off

Me too

Slow Shutter- 1/8

This is a good setting.

D .Zoom- off

Me too. I NEVER use digital zoom.

COL .Mode- Standard

Me too. Standard utilizes a sharpening amount that is plenty sharp for me.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote