Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 8, 2008, 5:50 PM   #11

Has anyone talked about the "EZ" zoom that goes up to 16.9X but at only 3 megapixels? All I've heard is that once it's in that mode, it takes some effort to get back to the 9.1 megapix. Also, does using a smaller megapixel setting reduce noise?

I'm still waiting for the 'perfect' travel camera that's compact and has long zoom. The TZ5 almost fits the bill, but the pics don't seem as sharp in the testing as they could be. I'm willing to forgo manual controls, but want good pics. The video isn't that important to me.

Any advice?
twospecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 6:16 PM   #12

'some effort' just requires you to press the E.zoom button again. Its no hassle and no form of menu tweaking is required. Plus, you'll always know when you're in e.zoom mode.
modifierwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 1:54 PM   #13

Thanks for the response. What's the quality like at 16.9X?
Old Apr 9, 2008, 8:21 PM   #14

Not sure...but I know it drops the resolution to a default of 3MP. You can't change that part of it.
modifierwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 11:48 PM   #15

twospecs wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the response. What's the quality like at 16.9X?

The quality will depend on the ability of the userto hand hold the camera at that setting. This is, after all, an equivalent of 470mm! There are going to be a lot of people using this camera who have probably never used anything withan equivalent focal length of over 400mm and may initiallybe disappointed becauseyou won't be able to get away withsloppy holding/shutter releasing habitsat 470mm, even with mega OIS,that you might have been able to get away with at 35mm, or even 150mm. Smooth, non-jerky releasing of the shutter and a good, steady handhold will go a long ways towards getting good images.

As far as the 3 megapixel resolution goes, I've been in the process of filling up an 11x14 proof album withprints from my TZ3, two of which were shot at the 3 megapixel extended zoom setting, and they are of excellent quality. How big would you ever print a 3 MP image from your TZ5? I don't think it's going to be an issue for anyone.

The 15x (3 megapixel)setting of the TZ3, which gets you420mm, is superb. I expect good shooters to be able to get shots at 470mm with the TZ5every bit as good as these 420mm shots I've gotten from my TZ3..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2008, 12:50 PM   #16

Thanks for the informative & helpful response. Too bad the camera doesn't have a remote, but the short self-timer (it allows us to choose between 2 and 10 sec., doesn't it?) might help...unless we're photographing moving objects.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 5:44 PM   #17

Greg-

Many thanks for a really great photo series. There is amzing detail in your photos. Were these photos taken on a tripod, or handheld. If they were indeed handheld, the OIS is really doing a fantastic job.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 5:55 PM   #18

Hi Sarah....

Tripod, what's a tripod?

In all honesty, I need to throw my tripod in the trunk of my car so it'll be there when I do need it, like a couple of weeks ago when I was trying to shoot some azaleashand-held it at 1/4 second in fading light....and it wasn't working well. Had it been in my trunk, I could have pulled it out and shot for another hour.

Those pictures abovewere shot hand-held with OIS set to mode 2. It still amazes me sometimes that it works as well as it does.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 9:14 PM   #19

That is really great, Greg-

I was debating whether I should take a tripod with me on the next contract (we lecture on digital cameras on cruise ships). Now, because I have ordered the new TZ-5, perhaps I do not have to pack that 21" tripod that is always somewhat of a problem/hassle to get into my luggage.

Just in case: folks, I have decided to take the tripod with me, just in case. Why get less than really great photos when, all ittakes is simply packing your tripod. So, no matter whether I think I need it or not, the tripod is going with us to Russia. This should be a lot of fun!

Have a great day, folks!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote