Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 13, 2008, 3:03 PM   #1

Hello Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone knows when we will be seeing a TZ5 review.

Thank you
mlcinema is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2008, 10:13 PM   #2

How about, when it actually goes on sale. Other than maybe being able toget one from the home islandsthat only speaks Japanese, which does most of us no good, you can't even buy one yet.

Rarely will you see a camera not even available yet, with a full, published review.Reviewers want to get one through the normal channels like you or I might get.

Geez, it's brand new. Be a little patient. I'm sure the typical, we've-gotta-be-first sites will slap some piece of work, good or bad,up by the second morning the camera is for sale. For the more legitimate testers, like DPReview, DCResource and this site, it'll get done when they get around to it....after all, this isn't the only camera, introduced or not, that hasn't been reviewed yet!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2008, 11:43 AM   #3

mlcinema wrote:
Quote:
Hello Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone knows when we will be seeing a TZ5 review.

Thank you
Personally, I find the professional reviews to be of limited value. Lots of technical stuff and not much about practical use. I do read these reviews but find that important points are sometimes left out.

Several years ago I read a number of reviews on the Pany TX1. Everybody raved about it and I was ready to buy, primarily because it was a small camera that zoomed during video. One day I spotted a user review that said although the camera zoomed during video, the autofocus was disabled. I found this to be true, called Panasonic and they confirmed it. No big deal but just shows that the pros don't get all of the important factors in their reviews.

Peronally, I like to read the user reviews on Amazon.com before I buy a digital product. I find them valuable and practical.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2008, 10:44 PM   #4

TZ5 review <-----

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 4:16 AM   #5

here you find a HD Video of the TZ5: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...jump_to=868388
Nutellaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:48 AM   #6

I did my own personal review on my blog. It touches more on the practical use aspect of the camera:

http://modifierwong.tabulas.com/

modifierwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 11:30 AM   #7

modifierwong wrote:
Quote:
I did my own personal review on my blog. It touches more on the practical use aspect of the camera:

http://modifierwong.tabulas.com/

Your review was excellent and informative. However, I find I'm discouraged about this camera for the flaws in video zooming focus and sound. Over on the DP forum, there has been an extensive discussion of exactly these two flaws and the same conclusions reached.

I'm not sure what the purpose of AF is when you have to disable it to get a decent video.

I suppose for those that primarily want a 10X still camera, the TZ5 should be a great one. With the 3" screen etc, it's got some strong points but, at least for me, the flaws in the video and audio make me want to wait, and hope, for a similar camera to be offered by Canon.

I presently have a Canon TX1 that I like. It has good HD, excellent stereo sound and no problem focusing during the full range of 10X zoom. The weakness of the TX1, for me at least, is the tiny 1.8" LCD and the handling characteristics. Even though it's a tiny camera that you likely will always have with you, it's definitely a two handed operation during video zooming.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 2:06 PM   #8

I would agree with the lazy autofocus questions and bad sounds, but in my opinion, for a point and shoot camera you can't really ask for more.

About the 3" screen. The more I use it, the more I find anything else to be a total waste of camera real-estate. Its just so clear and big you'll wonder how you ever managed to look at another screen.

Waiting for a canon may not be a bad idea but...the TZ5 sure makes one heck of an effort.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 2:40 PM   #9

Modifier,.....you make an excellent point. This is, after all, a camera with 10X zoom, good 3" screen etc that can be purchased for less than $300 and stuck in a shirt pocket. I particularly like the idea that it can be managed easily with only one hand.

My concern with the autofocus is only that EVERY user complained about it and all recommend turning it off. I guess I'd just have to see for myself how bad it is. I'm not terribly picky. I'm in it for memories, not technical perfection. If the autofocus problem was such that it was distracting to watch the videos, though, I couldn't manage that.

I really don't need my new pocket camera until September and can evaluate what's available then. I'm hoping for a new Canon that shoots HD, zooms during video, and has a viewfinder. If not, it'll be a choice between the TZ5 and Casio V8 I suppose.

In the meantime, I'll continue to enjoy my Canon TX1. As far as I can tell, the TX1 is perfect for zooming and focus. The only negatives I see are the tiny screen and the fiddly controls which require two hand operation when taking videos. I sure have no complaints about the quality of the videos or stills, though.

Thanks again for that really fine review you wrote on the TZ5. It was the best I've seen.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 3:35 PM   #10

Thanks again for the comliment! And you also brought up another very good point...

When watching the videos with the autofocus on, I personally found it rather distracting. Sometimes you couldn't always pinpoint what was odd about the picture, but then you notice it was out of focus, causing your eyes to go wierd. Try watching a 30 minute video and I'm pretty sure you would get dizzy. As I mentioned, I was dissapointed at first, until turning off the autofocus.

And about the viewfinder, I agree it would have been nice (another feature I was looking for) but then the body would have to be bigger or the screen smaller, both compromises making the lack of a viewfinder sound liveable.