Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 17, 2008, 1:52 AM   #61

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
Steve, although nice, the bird shot seems to be on the soft side (or perhaps my monitor is playing tricks on me). I noticed that my FZ18 behaved similarly at long FL when the object/subject was far away. I wonder if this is a focus issue when the two conditionsare true (long zoom + long subject-to-camera distance).
The shot is a bit softer then some others of this bird, but this one did not have sticks between lens and bird so I liked it more. This shot only fulfills half your criterea; it was a long zoom, but I was fairly close and used the macro focus setting to make sure it would grab. Although the sky is nice and blue, this was shot very early and is an ISO 250 shot. I doubt that has much to do with anything though.

Thanks for commenting and thanks also Sarah.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2008, 2:09 AM   #62

Interesting...do you have your camera set to quick focus? When I had the FZ18, I found that quick focus was indeed quick but very inaccurate. I think the camera focuses based on distancemore than contrast (vertical/horizontal lines), resulting in soft focus. I'm curious to know if this is the case with your picture.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2008, 7:24 AM   #63

Camera was on spot focus. It may have been that there was a tele converter attached.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 1:54 PM   #64

New FZ 18 pic. Sharpness and color is very good (I think). Especially since I took it with about 10x zoom.

//Daniel.

Attached Images

daniell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2008, 2:09 PM   #65

Nice picture, Daniel. My experience with the FZ18 was a very positive one. I had minor issues with soft focus when shooting a far awaysubject usingthe long range of the zoom. It could be that the OIS is not as efficient as other camera's IS or the FZ18 has a bit of a hard time focusing in those circumstances or...perhaps my hand was not steady enough. However, despite the soft focus,color, saturation and exposurewere always veryaccurate.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 4:22 PM   #66

I agree with Tullio-

The FZ-18 does very well out to about 10 to 12X and then the IQ and the ability to focus becomes reduced.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2008, 5:41 PM   #67

I'd say IQ is goodto about15x, which is equivalent to a 12x zoom lens starting at 36mm. However, if the subject is fairly close to the camera (up to 20 feet), the camera focuses OK and images are sharp even at 18x.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 10:41 PM   #68

That is a nice shot Daniel. And a good choice of subject.

Another bird.

Old Apr 19, 2008, 12:10 AM   #69

Steve-

I really like your "another bird shot."

Sarah JOyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2008, 8:37 AM   #70

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
It could be that the OIS is not as efficient as other camera's IS or the FZ18 has a bit of a hard time focusing in those circumstances or

...perhaps my hand was not steady enough. However, despite the soft focus,color, saturation and exposurewere always veryaccurate.
It could be a little of each. Although the effect is probably magnified by my use of a tele converter, the two bird pictures I posted recently are an example. Both were shot at 1/500th second. The thrush that you thought was a little soft was shot up in a tree. The Lark Sparrow was shot using a monopod. Both birds were quite close.

The pictures are not an exact match due to differing ISOs but the Aperture was the same for both so they are fairly close.

It is very gloomy here today, and if I go shooting even without the tele converter I will carry the monopod along in case I see a neat bird and want a good picture even without a tele converter. I personally think the IS works great, but with the long zoom of this camera we are putting it to the test at lower speeds. And I know I have shakey hands.