Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 25, 2008, 1:48 PM   #1

i have been taking lots of wildlife pics (in raw format) for printing but i have not been happy with the prints. the pic in adobe photoshop cs2 is noise free but i get lots of noise when i print. plus, the printed pic is not as sharp as onscreen. i am having to increase the contrast and darken the pic (yes, i have calibrated my monitor). i tried using two different printers so i am pretty sure it is not the printer, although they are both canon.

does anyone have any idea how to get my prints to look like the pics on the monitor? i had no such problems printing pics from my pentax dslr but those pics were only 5x7 and i am printing now at 8x10. i would think the size would not be such an issue.

i changed the resolution in adobe ps cs2 to process at 300 instead of 240 which helped but i still cannot print what i see.

so, is my problem the camera, printer, photoshop . . . or me? what am i doing wrong?

tia

ellen fl
ellenfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2008, 4:19 PM   #2

The FZ30 will print excellent noise free 8 X 10s at either ISO100 or 200....

But are you aware that if you are shooting at the 4:3 ratio that does not print an 8 X 10 without some type of cropping it will natively print a 9 X 12 which it also prints great.

I would examine your printer settings.......I have a canon printer and if you feel you may need some guidance I will try to help........I do most of my printing from the Canon easy print software as it takes a lot of the guess work out of the job.....I softproof in NX or PS to the printer profile and the paper I use (trial and error).

That is the hardest part, using the proper paper, and choosing it in easy print.

But if you are seeing noise.... I do not think that is what it is....but rather incorrect settings in the printer driver.

As I said it takes a bit of trial and error but it will make great photos.....as for sharpening I view the photo in an editor at 50% to sharpen for printing.....

I have 20 X 30s from my FZ30 with no noise or NR applied.

If you softproof to the profile of your local printer (even if its costco or some place similar) and have them print a couple to see how they turn out, should point you to either your processing or your printer.

http://www.drycreekphoto.com/icc/usi...r_profiles.htm

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 2:11 PM   #3

thank you! i will check out that link but may be back to quiz you some more. i am afraid the printer has so many settings i do not understand . . . and i was hoping that someone here could point me in the right direction.

ellen fl
ellenfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 8:05 PM   #4

I would be glad to help if I can.......I had some difficulty understanding how to make the settings stick and what profile to use.....I found Canons Tech support very helpful.....

If you can post an original size photo we can see how it prints on this end and maybe help with some Ideas.

Or what if you take an original size photo from this site or perhaps dpreview or I can put a couple on one of my sites and you can see ifthey print OK.

Try downloading the original size of either of these and see how they print.....they are compressed a good bit but I think they should print fine at 8 X 10 ......If not I will print them and see what they look like.

http://imageevent.com/grc6/fz30/test?n=0
genece is offline   Reply With Quote