Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 27, 2008, 6:40 AM   #1

Well I posted this in dpreview forums without much reponse. Just adds to my point that somehow no one seems to be aware of this issue even though a lot of the sample photos have told me the same story. Well, here goes:

TZ3 vs TZ5 amateur photo comparison:
http://forums.dpreview.com/... ...sp?forum=1033&message=27243269&changemo de=1
TZ3 night shots:
http://forums.dpreview.com/... ...sp?forum=1033&message=27332201&changemo de=1
And my own experience (nearly 3 years FZ5): In artificial light (especially night time), photos taken by Panasonic cameras have orangish tint. Very noticeable orangish tint.
I haven't noticed anything like that on Canon, Sony or Casio cameras (other cameras I have used in similar circumstances). But seems to be very common on Panasonic cameras. And absolutely no one seems to have mentioned anything like that ever. No official reviews, user reviews, user complains, nothing.
Having said that if you look at the photo comparison, you can see that with TZ5 there is a vast improvement.
But why is it there in the first place?

I recently decided to upgrade and was pretty set on Canon SD1000 but then I saw the TZ3 and for not too much more size, I get a whole lot more camera. But I'm very traumatized by the FZ5 making every indoor picture look like a Oompa Loompa family album. And obviously TZ3 is not any improvement at all. It has completely put me off Panasonic camera even though they seem to have the best features.
urzoomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2008, 7:02 AM   #2

No exif intact to be of any help to you. It looks like a white balance issue that could be corrected by using a different setting or use of some PP.
Attached Images

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2008, 12:10 PM   #3

I have the TZ-1 and TZ-3. The size of the camera is very appealing, and if you really hold the ISO as low as possible, you IQ will be better.

Rather than go to the TZ-5, I opted to go to the FZ-18, which I think has better IQ. and it can get to ISO 200 with less NR showing.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2008, 3:14 PM   #4

Thanks for the response guys.

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
No exif intact to be of any help to you. It looks like a white balance issue that could be corrected by using a different setting or use of some PP.
And how did you achieve that dude? That looks great. And even though the photographer claims otherwise, I have a feeling that your amended photo is a lot more realistic than the original one posted.

Why? Simply because when I look around at a scenery during night time, there is never so much orange spread around. Unless I'm staring right at an orange.

So quite keen to know how you corrected it.

Also is it possible to get the picture like that out of the camera without having to edit it later?
urzoomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2008, 9:55 PM   #5

It may be possible with the settings in your camera. That I don't know for sure. I would have to actually have one and play around with it to achieve similar results that I got using PP.

I used a freeware program to achieve the look of the one I posted. The program is Photofiltre and it has a WB plug-in which works well for most shots as in the case as yours that you had posted.

The reality of digital photography is that most shots will benefit from PP before print or posting.

PM me if you want a bit more information on what I used and how I did it.

Mahalo,

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote