Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 3, 2008, 11:57 PM   #1

I've read conflicting reports, and figure this is the best place to ask. I own an Olympus FL-40 which I've never used. Bought it for an Olympus 5050 which was stolen soon after, so the flash just sits.

Now I have an L1 and wish to know if anyone has gotten this combination to work. Some say it won't work at all, some say it works to a limited degree. I mounted it (same pins on both camera and flash), but I can't get the flash to fire. Maybe it's a camera setting issue. I hate to chuck the flash and pay for the pricier FL-50, but will if I must.

Any information or experiences appreciated.

Thanks.
LeicaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2008, 12:20 AM   #2

The FL40 was definitelycompatible with the OlympusE1 DSLRand, I believe, the E300. From that point on, it has been incompatible with all Olympus DSLR's. My current E510 even specifically mentions it not being compatible...at least, as far as the TTL system goes. Knowing how Panasonic and Olympus have shared this technology, I'd be willing to bet the TTL system of the L1 and the FL40 are not compatible....just a guess though.

If you must buy something,get a much less expensiveFL36 and use AANickel metal hydride rechargeables instead of regular off the shelf alkaline batteries.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2008, 9:42 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I get that the FL-40 wouldn't work TTL, but I hoped it could be used in some fashion, even using the manual zoom button on it before a shot. Mine, however, will not fire at all when mounted to the L1.

I'll look into the 36. Thanks.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 4:01 PM   #4

Greg,

Two more questions. Realizing I can read the FL-36 recycle times for myself, I'm curious to know the real-world experience of shooting with it. Is it fairly fast from shot to shot, and what kind of life do you get from a set of batteries?

Also, back to L1 compatibility, doesn't it seem like the FL-40 should flash under some circumstance, even though not using TTL. Mine just won't fire on the L1.

(Anyone with L1 experience please feel free to jump in.)

Thanks!
Old Apr 15, 2008, 1:52 AM   #5

LeicaLover wrote:
Quote:
Greg,

Two more questions. Realizing I can read the FL-36 recycle times for myself, I'm curious to know the real-world experience of shooting with it. Is it fairly fast from shot to shot, and what kind of life do you get from a set of batteries?

Also, back to L1 compatibility, doesn't it seem like the FL-40 should flash under some circumstance, even though not using TTL. Mine just won't fire on the L1.

(Anyone with L1 experience please feel free to jump in.)

Thanks!
I don't have any first-hand experience with the FL36. I use the more powerful FL50. Shot to shot with the FL50, with Nickel Metal Hydride rechargeable batteries loaded (it uses 4 at a time) the recycle times are almost instantaneous. Even in shots where the FL50 completely dumps all power, the rechargeables fully recycle it in less than 2-3 seconds.

The FL36 only uses 2 AA batteries instead of 4, so you are already at a power disadvantage compared to the FL50. The recycle times I have seen stated by FL36users are around 5-7 seconds per shot with fresh batteries. You would most likely see better and consistent results using the same Nickel Metal Hydride rechargeables with the FL36 that I do with the FL50. Using off the shelf alkaline AA's is the worst possible choice as performance declines as they are used. With the rechargeables, they stay at the same level of power until they are completely drained and then they just stop and you put the next set in.

A couple of weekends ago I shot a wedding with the FL50 flashand got over 300 snaps on one set of rechargeablesbefore I replaced them with another and the recycle times never slowed one bit. They really work great. If you get the FL-36, I highly suggest you use that type battery.

Sounds to me like the FL40 just isn't going to work with the L1 in any type mode. I'm not too suprised. It was Olympus' first flash made for digital cameras, before the E system even existed, so the technology was "old" by the time the E-1 was introduced..

http://www.olympus-global.com/en/new...0824fl40fe.cfm

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote