Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 5, 2008, 12:12 AM   #1

I am wondering if I could take a Quicktime movie, slap it on a SD card and utilize the AV cable to play portably; from the camera to any composite (any VCR) input out onto a bigger screen. Not to mention, in car veiwing; on camera.

Unless you think it would somehow hurt the camera(it doesn't to play a movie you took, just for how long?) The manual says it would turn off if over heated. if one could possble make a 2 hour recording to play, then why not play a two hour movie (or one hour show?)

After all, I'll be carrying the camera anyway. Why carry a porable media player too?

First, I suppose it would only be in mono audio.

Second, I put a 480i quicktime clip on the SD and it didn't play. So we need to know *which* Quicktime format the camera expects, and will play. Anyone know?

My understanding so far, is it that QT is a wrapper for many differing formats, just like AVI is also a wrapper.

I happily use Kubuntu BTW. Playing the cameras QT movies is no problem. i would rather see an open standard! I am concerned about the qaulity and "burning" look to the video though. Anyone know how to avoid that?

I love the FZ-18:G,
Peace
NeoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2008, 7:40 AM   #2

While I know very little about videos.......the FZ cameras can only playback what they record and then only if you put it back into the folder it was originally .......so my guess is you can not edit a movie and play it back on the camera.....
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 6:40 AM   #3

I havent tried any of what your sugestioning but i think it would be possible if you get the correct format . If your camera came with editing software i would try to use that and open other clips and investigat the format. Im working with Ddobe CS3 Master Collection programs and there very powerful tools . Somthing like that may be able to convert clips for than panasonic . But its a shot in the dark as im really not familiar with the Pnasonics Video Rendering format . Somthing i might toy with tho . Good luck
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2008, 9:32 PM   #4

Two things so far...

I read that the FZ18 uses"M-Jpeg" movie format in it's Quicktime (wrapper) format. I don't know if that just means it keeps a jpeg of the first frame or what.

Also, after retouching some pictures and putting them back in the camera, for viewing on TV(or LCD), many of them just display a black screen.

I would really like to know which format my camera uses and how to manipulate it.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 7:52 AM   #5

As I said the camera can only read what it created.......any alteration to the photo that shows in the exif......renders the photo not readable.....and if you did not alter the photo, it seems it must go back to exact folder it was created in.......use the camera to take photos, and get another device to do the viewing.

I think the any alteration include the date altered..... or if the editor inserts its name as PS does. I did see a thread one time of how to beat the system, but that held no interest for me so I did not bookmark it.....

I still believe a camera is for taking photos.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 2:25 PM   #6

"Hello boys. I'm back!"

Hey, it's our camera. The ability to watch a Quicktime video on the camera screen, such as while riding in the back seat of a car, is a very desirable feature, even with mono sound. ...Good for airplanes too (when allowed).

So, what is the trick? How long is the maximum? Have you done it? How many files then, would an average 2 hour QT movie be.